Cylinder base gasket

Champion750

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, another question for the all knowing XS650 database.

I have a cylinder block that has been modified with larger sleeves for 80mm pistons and I'm trying to fit the base gasket but something doesn't seem right.

Is there supposed to be an o ring around the sleeve like in the picture? I'm assuming there is but this base gasket I have (big bore from Mike's XS) seems to rest on top of the o ring. Shouldn't the base gasket have a hole large enough so that it doesn't rest on top of the o ring. My SR500 has an o ring around the cylinder sleeve and the base gasket hole for the sleeve is big enough that it doesn't touch the o ring.

Am I making sense here? It seems that, with the cylinder up side down as in the pic, once you slip the base gasket in place the o ring should still be exposed. The base gasket doesn't sit flush otherwise.

Any help?

Thanks,
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 172
On my 750s the gasket holes for the New LA Sleeves were large enough that the rubber O Rings were exposed but you will have to chamfer out the channel around the new sleeves for the O Ring to fit slightly down in the channel. I don't know if I explained that correct but I do buy my gaskets from hoosracing.com

Hope this helps some
Bryan

The layout you have in your pics is correct, BUT, only if the cylinders have the recess for the o-rings to fit into. Else, leave the o-rings out...

Because of the boring to fit the sleeve there isn't enough room, we leave it out. Never have issues. Gary

Back