Cylinder head washers

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It seems like Mike's has been out of brass head washers forever and their web page says they won't be restocked until May. My question is this has anyone used stainless steel washers as a substitute for the brass and what were the pros and cons?

The outer head washers provide a seal against oil coming up the studs. The stock seals have rubber molded to the washer for that purpose. The brass also seals. Copper will seal but is too soft to maintain torque. Stainless or steel have no sealing properties. If you can't get brass, go back to the stock type.

You can go to your local Suzuki Dealer and pay top dollar for The Suzuki GS1100 Copper Cylinder washers. The Suzuki part # is 09168-10017

Last edited:
I have those Suzuki washers on mine and they are copper. I used them because several years back when I did my rebuild, Mike's didn't sell the brass washers yet. They seem to work fine. I re-torque every spring as part of my spring maintenance routine. They are expensive compared to the brass ones, about $2 each, but we're still only talking about an $8 expenditure here.

The outer head washers provide a seal against oil coming up the studs. The stock seals have rubber molded to the washer for that purpose. The brass also seals. Copper will seal but is too soft to maintain torque. Stainless or steel have no sealing properties. If you can't get brass, go back to the stock type.

Yama,
I got 8 brass ones from holland in Europe, I live in the United Kingdom

I would Look on the Heiden Tuning webb page the Item Number is #01-0651.

The Dimensions are 22mm O/D X 10.5 I/D X 4mm thick They cost 8 euros sorry I dont know what that is in proper money :laugh:

Leslie

I went to my local Yamaha dealer and ordered 8 of the Suzuki part number listed a few posts up (copper washers) they priced matched the MikesXS price and didn't charge me for shipping. I have found this to be the best way of getting any OEM part...no sense ordering OEM parts from MikesXS and paying $15 shipping and waiting longer.

Thanks everyone for the information, Mikes's jumped in at the end and said they are now in stock. I just placed the order. I like the Suzuki idea, that gets saved for future reference.

Let's not talk theory, gents. I've used copper washers on the outer studs for years and have installed them on several motors. They've worked. Maybe yamasarus has assembled more of these motors than I have and knows something about it that I don't?

Mike's is the only place I've ever seen brass washers sold for oil sealing applications. Think there might be a reason for that?

Yes, they're cheaper than copper, lol. I've used the brass ones on several engines for other people and they seem to work OK so far. If the copper was no good, I doubt manufacturers like Suzuki would be installing them at the factory. Just think of the "hit" Suzuki would have taken if nearly every GS came back to the shop and needed those washers replaced due to leakage under warranty.

Yep, Ive had a dozen or so GS/GSX models over the years, never once had a leak in that area:wink2:

In my experience theyre bullet-proof..Shame they never made a mid-capacity parallel twin,it'd probabably have been better than an XS ....:wink2:

..Oh dear..Theres a knock at my door....:eek:

What is the suzuki love based on? Am I missing something about the reputation of these bikes? (I have no prior experience).

My point was that it's a solution that an oem used in that application, not a general endorsement of all things suzuki - although if the abuse my neighbor's ninja has withstood is any indicator, they do seem to be good quality.

Last edited:
A Ninja is a Kawasaki but I'm pretty sure they use copper washers as well. And Suzuki actually did make a 650 twin for a few years, butt ugly in my opinion and not classic looking at all.

so whats up with the rubber coated dudes. ive got some sitting in a baggy waiting to be used hopefully soon. any reason not to use them?

i know the rubber can and has gotten messed up on the out side (cleaning engine), but at the mating surfaces they are pry allright. or is the thought that maybe the rubber can turn while torquing and tear not creating a good seal?

For me its the price (near £5 each here ) & the fact that theyre usually 'use once & replace' (unless careful/lucky). Ive got copper washers here that have been on & off several times & still as good as new.

Back