Cylinder head????

vansmetal

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have the cylinders and the cylinder cover with rockers, but I do not have the cylinder head(by the way previous owner wills and deals and wasn’t sure why it was missing). Everything looks good, so can I buy any cylinder year head for my 1981?

Head and valve cover is a matched pair. So you basically need both. All the other parts (rocker shafts, rockers, etc) can be used in a new valve cover

Head and valve cover is a matched pair. So you basically need both. All the other parts (rocker shafts, rockers, etc) can be used in a new valve cover
So does that mean that my cylinder cover isn’t good to use regardless of its condition?

So does that mean that my cylinder cover isn’t good to use regardless of its condition?
The head and valve cover is machined for the camshaft bearings as a pair. So it is not guaranteed that the camshaft bearing bores will line up if assembled with a non-matching head. If really lucky, they may work. But your best bet is to look for a head and cover pair.

So if I buy a pair(Cylinder head and cylinder cover)what years can I buy that will fit onto my cylinders?

I believe a '72 or newer will work, but to be on the safe side, I'd look for a '74 or newer.

Back