Damaged threads, sump plate

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I damaged the threads in my engine case which receive the M6 bolts for the sump plate.

I can't get the bolt into the hole more than 1 or 2 threads. What should my plan of action be?

The engine is in the frame and I would like to keep it that way. I was thinking I would lay it on its side, and first attempt to repair the threads with a tap. (Can someone confirm it is an M6? What is the pitch?) If that does not work I don't know what to do. There does not seem to be enough material to drill out the hole and insert a helicoil.

I've never repared threads before. Any tips?

Adam

Take the bolt to the hardware store and try some metric nuts on it to get the correct pitch and then buy the tap of the same size/pitch. Some people say a thread repair/chaser type tap is a better way to restore threads as it doesn't remove any more metal. I've never had these so I've always used a tap. The trick is getting the tap straight as you try and fix the hole. If you could get the threads somewhat useable you could put a stud into that hole with some red locktite and just use a nut to fasten the sump plate at that hole. You wouldn't have to remove that bolt from that hole anymore if the threads aren't so good if you use a stud. I would put some grease on the tap as well to catch as many metal chips as possible.

Maybe not. Just read that it is for external threads only. I need to repair the threads in the case, so I guess those are internal.

Heli-coil repair kit at NAPA stores. Initial cost is up there a bit but if you're tightening these bolts down without a torque wrench-or- breaking them loose from a PO that over cranked them, you'll be sure to use the kit over and over again.
I believe the 10mm headed bolts are all the same thread/pitch.

The trick to the repair is to make sure you're centered in the hole no matter what you do.

Heli-coil repair kit at NAPA stores. Initial cost is up there a bit but if you're tightening these bolts down without a torque wrench-or- breaking them loose from a PO that over cranked them, you'll be sure to use the kit over and over again.
I believe the 10mm headed bolts are all the same thread/pitch.

The trick to the repair is to make sure you're centered in the hole no matter what you do.

Definitely the way to go. Either a Recoil, Helicoil or a whatever coil (you can get them on e-bay). Threaded inserts will replace the aluminum threads with an alloy steel thread, so, they don't wear out or strip after multiple remove / replace cycles. There real easy to install. I've used a few on my bikes.

please be careful wich ever way you go if you go to far into the holes you can crack or go right thru the end of the hole which will make it very hard to keep oil tight I have a set of cases out in the shed that the po used slightly longer bolts & broke through the cases at the end of the treaded hole which is where all the oil lives TAKE CARE

You are cheap, just use a tap. Put the cover on to act as a guide to keep the tap straight. One technique is to thread the tap in till you can feel it hit the bunged up area, go 1/2 turn more, back out a turn repeat till you have the thread reformed. Before you start clean the area with paint thinner especially the inside of the crank case. a bit of grease on the tap helps any chips come out with the tap. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Jeeses I thought these holes go right through the case and have no "bottom"? But maybe I'm wrong about that??
If they have a bottom use a bottoming tap. Grind a 1/2" off the bottom of a regular tap to "roll your own" bottom tap. run it through a scrap threaded hole or a nut to clean any burrs from grinding off it.

Got lucky everybody.

Its only the first one or two threads which are damaged. IF you allow the bolt to enter the hole at the EXACT right angle the bolt jumps onto the proper threads and screws in pretty easily. I'm just gonna keep it like that. If it gets more damaged after my next oil change I'll deal with it then.

Thanks,
Adam

Dropping the sump plate is the only way to check the sump filter. For things like front guide bits, torn filter screen. Maybe not every oil change but at least every other.
Leo

Back