damn, I wish I wouldn't have sold...

jamesgs4

fuck this, let's ride!
Reaction score
I bought 5 xs engines from an old guy for $20 each a couple of years ago. All were in good condition and complete. After stuffing them in the garage and tripping over them for a couple of months, I got fed up and sold them all for $40 each. Sure, I doubled my money, but man I wish I would have kept 1 or 2 around...
What have you sold and immediately regretted?

edit: I also sold a running 1970 mustang fastback for $150 because my GF at the time was nagging me to get rid of it.(she hated old cars)

1991 Mustang GT convertable. 20k origional miles Red with white top and intieror Worked 2 jobs ALL summer when I was 16 nad bought it cash when I was 17. Sold it like an IDIOT when I was 22. All my dad muscle car buddies told me since day one never sell you first muscle car well... deedeedee did!

1969 Holden HT Monaro, Daytona Bronze. 350 chev 4 speed. Traded it on a newer car, worth $50+k now :doh: Well worth a google search if you dont know what it is.

Posted via Mobile

The Yamaha V-Max i bought brand new in 2006, got it just before i got out of the military. Had to sell it cuz i needed a car payment more than a bike payment at the time.

Bushmaster M4 Carbine I built up myself from gun show parts, My Steyr SSG PII K, My last Sig 228, and my 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE.

split window VW single cab. It was my daily driver in college for only a few months. Sold it for a decent profit in a grocery store parking lot. five years later, I don't think I could find another comparable single cab for over twice the money. And, I don't even care about the money. It's just that I couldn't afford another decent split window if I sold everything I own. not even close. prices on those things have gone through the roof.

here's to dreaming about a pressed bumper double door panel pulling the xs on a small, drop axle trailer...endless roadtrip.

one day.

I sold my 1957 Chevy 210 series 2 door hard top with the original factory 283 C.I. dual quad 270 hp engine. That's what poor boys do when they get married.

There's some comfort knowing someone else is pouring money into it.:D

I have several, 1964 Pontiac LeMans 326ci four-speed red-on-red. Best car that I ever owned. A 1957 NSU Super Max 250cc Beautifull. A 1964 Ducati 250cc. Live and learn. I will keep my two xs 650s and my 1963 BSA. Also go t rid of a pristine 1962 VW bug and bus.

My first car..... 1987 Monte Carlo SS. Stock for 3mos till I busted a rod, 385ci of stroked awesomeness later she was a ton of fun till she spun a main, so on and so forth, still miss her.......

The list is as sad as it is long.

1963 BSA Goldstar Grand Prix paid 75 sold it for 150, value now woosh...

70 Superbee 383 4 speed, I did sell it to a friend who drove it for a decade till it died of rust.

I now think it's OK that I let the XKEs go, like hamamatsu says I take comfort knowing I'm not the one pouring money into them.

The 71 Norton Combat Commando. A friend restored it and still owns it 30 years later.

One of the H2 750s

My 305 Scrambler, well just because it was my first bike.

Really though the Goldstar, that thing was just so COOL.

Should be another thread on things we had the chance to buy but didn't.

I bought a 79 cb650 hardtail roller and engine for $125 when I was 15..

Got fed up and rolled it off a cliff months later..

Guess who was a complete, running 79 cb650 now? this guy.

My first nice car was a 1987 toyota mr2. I had a blast with it and needed a truck so traded it in like a fool. And also my first xs650 when I was in highschool.

a the toys we used to have
1966 mustang
1950 gravedigger style chevy panel truck
1955 chevy 2 door belair
1957 chevy 2 door belair
1972 plyouth roadrunner
1954 willis 4 wheel drive pickup
1971 h1 kawi 500 tripple 2 stroke
last but not least back in 1977 a
1950 115lb blue eyed blonde "I didn't sell her but I still miss her":banghead:

Last edited:
1970 road runner 383 pistol grip 4 speed solid car . Bought for $400 sold for even money a few months latter. Years latter "What was I thinking?":eek:

My first 650, a XS2. I really had no plans to sell it. I was working in my garage one day when a neighbor walked in with someone he knew. Introductions and small talk, then the new guy says "What would you take for the bike?" I quickly priced it way over the current value (around 5 to 600 dollars, back then) saying I'd have to have at least $900. Damn, he was throwing $100 bills at me instantly. Lesson learned, never price something unless you really want to sell.

There have been plenty of parts I've sold on eBay, then later finding I needed them.
As for the big stuff...
I had a Piece-O-Crap VW Rabbit Diesel. I was newly married and living in an apartment. My wife hated it and when it got below freezing I couldn't get it started. Sold it for junk for $50. With gas prices, I wish I had it now, It got over 40 mpg.
Also had a Honda CRX, fun car to drive, but with a baby on the way a two seater was not going to cut it. Sold it to buy a mini-van.

'47 ford truck w/ a Corvette chassis & a 383 magnum stock car engine w/ Linko trans--
'65 Pontiac 326 w/ a 2 speed powerglide trans--
'79 Camaro (no rust) T-tops, 4 bolt 350, & 3 speed manual trans--
'85 Toyota Tercel, 5 speed, 4 cylinder (stupid fast car)--
'79 Honda CVCC (stupid reliable car & easy as hell ta fix)--
'63 Ford Econoline Van--

Couple motorcycles--hell, the motorcycles don't even bother me...but...still...

http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Wow. People sometimes say I'm weird ( a little) for not having a great amount of love for the 4 wheelers, but the only thing I regret about getting rid of cars and trucks is payments on a newer one, so I don't miss the car/truck, I miss the portion of my income that was stabilized by them being paid for and reliable! 4 wheeled vehicles are big and bulky to store for the sake of love or hobby. I can put 6 motorcycles on my side of the garage, or my pickup. Bikes win! Not that I have 6. yet........

I dont miss a single one of the 50+ cars Ive owned but I really miss probably a dozen of the 100 or so bikes that passed through my hands..Top of the list is my 1970 Laverda 750S,(I still wake up some mornings thinking its still in my shed :heart:.. ) , then my '93 Guzzi 1000S, 1960 BSA A10 650 'Flash'..82' Laverda 1200 Mirage....'39 Norton 16H.....840 XS650.....Gotta stop...Im welling up ...:eek:

Last edited:
Back