Damn it, cut off something I needed on frame- help?

sbaugz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just got my frame back from powder. I removed the entire rear passenger footpeg mounts and the entire rear exhaust mounts. Got it powdered up nice and started reassembly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the hell the foot brake lever return spring attaches. I reviewed some old pictures I had before I took bike apart and realized the return spring attached to the bottom of the frame pieces that I just hacked off. First pic shows the spring I am talking about and the second pic shows what I have now. Thoughts? Not sure where I am going to attach that return spring now.

Look at pregrids "building me a tracker" thread he did the same, what he did is install a nutsert and put a bolt and loch nut on it seemed to work just fine without messing up the powder coating

Found that build thread although his bike had disc brakes and mine is drum. The return spring on the drum setup has a totally different geometry to it than disc so I don't think the angles will be right. Will try and make something work unless someone else has a great idea that would work on my drum setup

There was another thread started by a fellow in Europe, same issue, but he misspelled "spring". If you try a forum search on "brake", and look for a recent thread title with that misspelled 'spring', maybe there's an answer...

Yeah, just looked at it. Thought maybe he posted a solution.
One thought I had would be to fit a torsion spring between the frame and the inner arm, fitted around a small spacer on the shaft. Not much room in there, but I've seen 1 1/2 turn springs at tractor supply that give good torsion...

I will have to mess around with it some more today. Sounds like alot of good advice- except I don't know what alot of those terms mean. Will do some research and see what I can come up with.
Kicking myself for getting rid of that although I am not sure how I would have kept that spring mount anyways. Its just too bad I already powder coated frame because I would have just simply welded a new post on.

^I was thinking the same thing. I noticed the other day my spring is floppy loose when the pedal is up. The shoes spring holds it up.

So I figured it out. Got a 4" spring from ace hardware and ran it from brake return stock hole on brake lever to the unused spring mount for center stand. It crosses over towards center of bike a couple inches but that doesn't seem to matter.

Nice one sbaugz! quick and simple I like it. I'm sure this will come in handy for someone else in the future.

I'm just happy I forgot to remove the center stand spring mount when I removed the center stand mounts on each side of frame.

Back