Damnit

I can't help but still be curious of answers for this.... The bike was running and working perfect until I wired in the tail light.. like I said I didn't add any fuses in but the bike still kicked over and was running great then it all just dissappeard.

My guess is you have one VOM lead on the battery + terminal and are measuring the "Voltages" with the other? If you have the black lead on the negative battery terminal (standard procedure) then those readings are reverse of what would be expected.

Look for shorted wires in taillight circuit.
Did you by chance weld the taillight on?

My guess is you have one VOM lead on the battery + terminal and are measuring the "Voltages" with the other? If you have the black lead on the negative battery terminal (standard procedure) then those readings are reverse of what would be expected.
Yes I have the Red on the + and using the black to test everything. You saying I should be doing it the opposite way ?

Taillight didn't get welded on. just strapped it up . I understand the vibrations, but I am just cruising by my house nothing more then second gear and it was pretty solid on there!

Thank you for your help and fast replies!

Yes I have the Red on the + and using the black to test everything. !
Then those readings are fine.
Standard VOM testing is black on battery negative, red looking for voltages (Key on). If those show good, repeat with black on the engine instead of negative, a change in the readings would indicate ground issues.
Good on "just strapped" taillight.
Please; never weld when the ignition box, called TCI 'round these here parts, is anywhere NEAR the bike. Electric welding has been known to burn out components inside that box, ending a "low budget" build.
More gotcha's. never crank a motor with TCI live unless the plugs are both on the plug wires, and grounded.
Don't leave any ignition "on" when motor isn't running.
Watching....

I'd also get some fuses on there Stephen.

Also - I noticed that you have omitted the upper engine mount (goes between the cylinder head and the top frame member) - I strongly urge you to put that component back on the bike. Motorcyclists have enough to content with - you don't need to be riding a wobblin' goblin going down the road too.

Last edited:
Do you guys have any suggestions on what fuses I should pick up? I have never ran fuses in and am not familiar how to do it, sorry for the inexperience ha

Now i'm not in North America and we didn't get TCI ignitions with the SS Reg/rect over here.......I bought a TCI loom with the SS Reg/Rect........Unless Yamaha Changed the shape of the SS Reg/Rect then this is what a Factory Reg/Rect looks like

Factory  TCI Reg-Rect Crop Z.jpg

Wouldn't do any harm to identify the unit on the bike..........There are Aftermarket Combined SS Reg/Rectifiers for both the TCI ignition and Points ignition...........

Hey guys,

Got the bike goin last night! Some swap and clean up of grounds and a fix in the main power that was soldered together. Ran good made it down the street to work this morning. Only problem I noticed, when the rpms get up there like jusssst before I want to shift. it flattens out.

It wasnt super noticeable since I'm just cruising in town but I got on it a little under a bridge and it was quite noticeable. Any one have this problem ? Looking it up in the forums now!

Back