Wanted - Damper - Cam Chain Tensioner rod to spring XS650

traversable

XS650 wana-be
Reaction score
Dose anyone have an extra tensioner rod damper washer (#18-0873) they'd be willing to mail me.. Just noticed mine is missing and don't really feel like giving MIKE 18 bucks for a little washer... ummm.. Can I maybe get away from not running the damper washer? This is for a rebuilt engine that i have yet to start.

Regards!

You definitely need the washer, and be aware that there were at least two different damper washers used. MikesXS is selling their washer as being universal, but it really isn't right for all models. You should wade through the drawings and part numbers here:
http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html
and determine which damper is correct for your year.
If you use an incorrect washer, the result is that the end of a properly adjusted rod isn't flush with the adjuster end like the manuals instruct. If you adjust the rod correctly, so that there is about 1 or 2 mm of in-and-out adjuster rod movement when the crank is rotated, and ignore the "flushness," you'll be okay.

Thanks Dogbunny!

I ended up making a damper washer out of a nickel. Drilled a hole in it. Turned it down and put the step in it to secure the spring. Works like a charm!

Back