David Bird hardtails from lowbrow

MercKing

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought one of the bird hardtails from lowbrow? I'm digging the looped tail and I've heard great things about Bird. Just curious, thanks.

Yeah, anybody know anything about the quality of the welds etc ?
I'm seriously considering this for my build and could use some feedback on em as well
Thanks

I was also looking into this hardtail. I would love to hear any feedback. One thing I like about his hardtail is that you retain the lower/rear mounts for the engine where most make you cut that section out.

sickleboy, this guy has been making triumph hardtails for a while and just started the xs, so i'm sure it is built very nice.

they look really good, i really want to see one on a finished bike. porbably gonna pick one up for the winter overhaul

I've been searching high and low for finished bikes with that rear loop hardtail and I just haven't even come close to finding any. It surprises me because they allow you to order it with any drop and stretch you want and you would think people would jump at the chance for a custom hardtail. The only thing that bugs me is that joint where the frame is welded and that triangle cover up box. A bit of an eyesore to me.

well, I'm just gonna jump into it ...
Thanks for the feedback !
I'll post pictures when it shows up and I chain my friend thats a welder to the garage floor :laugh:

* just placed my order

Last edited:
I own a matching ,low # (around # 2500) 1969 Triumph Trident 741cc / 45 ci, w/ a bolt on looped hardtail by David Bird ( not sure if this frame came from Lowbrow or if it was directly from David) It is streched 4" and dropped 2" (I have aprx 4" ground clearance) I have pic's of this nearly completed bike at the following URL

http://members.cox.net/slippy_sam/index.htm

His welds look very good, I personally know a 6G certified welder that complimented David Birds welds.My buddy the welder said that it appeared David had good "penetration" w/ his welds,and thats what its all about, "good penetration", they are very clean welds. As to how they hold up I am not sure, as my bike is not quiet sorted ,as of yet (It won't be long !)However , I can tell just by looking at the welds, that they are very strong and I am not a 6G Certified welder. hope you enjoyed the pix , and story on my website ! ** Bike notes , I did not like the high sissy bar with tag/taillight that I made it looked to "choppery" ,so I removed it,it now has a side mount tag/taillight and I am seeking other options (fender struts) as I am shooting for a Drag Bobber look , also not shown is the bad ass Garage Leathers special made Right side Solo Bag.
Keep the rubber side down !
FTW
Starwolf

Last edited:
I ordered one from lowbrow two weeks ago. I'll post pics when I get it together. My buddy also ordered one. I ordered the 4 stretch and 2 down and he ordered the 2 stretch and 4 down.

I remember JoeWiseguy, a member here who builds bikes, mentioning that he had a customer bring to him a bird looped tail to have installed. He had mentioned that he hadnt fitted it to the bike yet, but the welds and overall quality looked quite good. I'll try to find that post and link it.

Some updated info, and the previously mentioned link.

i just got a customers frame in with a david bird hardtail kit to attach for him on my frame jig. ill let you know how it goes. havent mounted the frame yet to check the fit but the kit looks like good quality work to me. heavy wall dom tubing, heavy axle plates and they are clean milled steel. the welds look top notch tig. hoping it goes together as good as it looks.

followed by this update:

well i just installed a david bird lowbrow xs650 hardtail onto a customers frame and it went very well. the mitres were perfect. the tig welds were awesome..... damned nice kit, fit, and product. only good things to say about thier stuff. it fit on my jig with the frame perfect. there my commercial for david bird is complete...hahahsh.

Both quotes from the How many hours to hardtail frame? thread on this site.

I ordered one from lowbrow two weeks ago. I'll post pics when I get it together. My buddy also ordered one. I ordered the 4 stretch and 2 down and he ordered the 2 stretch and 4 down.
Bought a basket case '79....cheap. Ordered a 2 stretch and 4 down on the 14th. Doing my 1st build.:D

Here is my DB looped hardtail. Really great welds. I have a 2 inch stretch and 1 inch drop. I also cut the connecting piece and used tubing instead of the gussets that came with the kit.

side_pipes-11.jpg

bobber_project-3.jpg

Back