Dead 78 XS650, Good Battery, No Power!

rvm1654

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Help! I have a strong battery ( a gel battery from Mikes last year, been regularly trickled), 13.2v, the main fuse (the only one that I can locate) under the right side cover is fine has 13.2 going and coming from it. No lights, horn, anything. I have the tank & headlight off, cannot see any dead shorts, but it would have blown the fuse anyway. When the key is turned to the on position, the voltage at the fuse drops to .78v. Anyone have an idea where to start?

sounds like a battery with a internal break, just because it shows +12 volts doesn't mean much if it won't carry current, jump your headlight acrossed it and see if it will light it up, if it's ok try a different fuse, could be blown but not completly, jump around fuse to check fuse block itself contacts could be dirty but I bet the battery is toast

:thumbsup:I never heard of that, but once I jumpered the light to the battery...nothing. I put another 12v source on the bike, and she lit up, power was back. You were spot on! The reason that I bought a gel battery was so that I wouldnt need to keep buying batteries. Though I only put about 200 miles on her last year, I did run it monthly. Guess I'll need another. Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when she's back together, a real sweetheart. Like new with 9700 miles, forest green color...all original.

yes unfortunatly mikes batteries seem to have a bit of a problem, not the first one to fail
jumping a headlight acrossed is a poor mans load test :lol:

i had that happen with one of their gel batteries last year. Got it, tested it, 12.5 volts, it ran a load fine, put it on the shelf for 4 months, went to put it in the bike, 12.5 volts, but no load at all. I emailed them the whole story, and they replaced it, but your mileage may vary on that.. Can't hurt to ask them. The replacement one seems fine.

Could be a bad battery but you noted the voltage at the fuse went to .78 volts. What is the voltage at the battery? Also, make sure you measure the voltage across the battery posts. Don't forget, a bad ground connection is as bad as a lousy hot wire connection.

If your battery voltage checks OK (around 12+ volts) look for a poor connection possibly at the main fuse clip or battery ground.

Back