dead cylinder cant kill left side

cros36

thread killer
Reaction score
solid week of solid running (besides a elusive electrical issue) decided to take some time and actually dial some stuff in. first time doing dead cylinder, i understand it, i think.

right side i can kill the engine with backing the throttle stop. i can restart on that cylinder and do dance with the mix screw. thats seems all good.

left side, i can completely back out the throttle stop and it will not drop the rpms enough to kill the engine. no tach so i do not know how low its getting.

butterfly shaft seals?

47.5 pilot
132.5 main
#2 needle position
jbm diaphragms, manifolds
open pipes
unipods.

only other info i have is i cant ever start the bike with the chock on.

cold engine, ign. off, kick, kick, turn ignition on, kick fire up.

im sure im forgetting something stupid. ill do my best for you guys. thanks

vacuum leak or you sync is off....and if it never starts with choke on then your probably to rich at idle or the jets that feed the choke are plugged

allright, ill look for a vacuum leak, but its showing no other signs of it. sync is for sure off. i pretty much just set my carbs up for my mods according to what other people have done and let her rip. just trying to get a good set up because its going great, i cant imagine how it will run when everything is right. i was keeping up pretty good with my buddy blasting around the outskirts of town, he was on a 883 sporty, i was on my unsynced, untimed 38 year xs. felt great to pull away from him at lights (sometimes.)

check your diaphragms. I also got jbm and didn't glue, since they say it's ok. one of them had fallen off. You can check this without taking the carbs off.

A long shot but if you have one of the early heads with the intake crossover tube you get this exact situation. Can't do the dead cylinder method on those without blocking off the tube barbs.

check your diaphragms. I also got jbm and didn't glue, since they say it's ok. one of them had fallen off. You can check this without taking the carbs off.

i glued mine. the slide was twisting just like some others. i just used super glue, its holding up good.

to GreasyC...i have a 74. there is no barbs. i thought about drilling and taping the head while it was off so i could just use the homemade meter. but i didnt want to do it free hand, and never thought about it when i did have access to a drill press.
and this is if im looking at your post correct. the carbs themselves have a cross over but that is for fuel, not air.

pull the carbs off sync them with your eyes put em back on and then sync them by exhaust sound no more than 1/8 of a turn and this should get you really close remember that the idle mix screws can provide different amounts of fuel with the same setting so if there both 1 1/2 turns out that doesn't mean there delivering the same amount of fuel your nose and spark plugs can help you with this

He's attempting to use the dead cylinder method to set his mix screws. Backing the idle speed screw all the way out so it doesn't touch should close that carb's butterfly completely and stall the motor - unless you don't have enough slack in that carb's throttle cable. The cable will hold the butterfly open if it's too tight.

His 74 if stock has two throttle cables. The dead cylinder method does both air mix screw adjustment as well as sync of the carbs.
Try it with the throttle cables unhooked. With out the cables hooked then it can't be cable ajustments.
With one plug off and grounded you set the idle speed screw on the otherside for the lowest idle speed without stalling. Adjust the mix screw to highest idle. Now turn the mix screw intil you get a stumble, back out 1/8 turn.
Now hook the plug back on, unhook the other plug. Do the same for other carb. Now both the idle mix is set on both carbs as well as carb sync.
Now with both plug hooked up start the engine. It should idle a bit high. Now adjust both idle speed scews the same amount to maintain the sync as you adjust to 1200 rpm idle.
Now with the engine off hook the cables back to the carbs. Loosen both cables to get a bout 1/8 inch free play on the right cable. Now as you slowly open the throttle watch the right side with your finger tips on the left carb. This way you see the right carb start to move and feel the left side move.
Adjust the left cable so the throttle starts to open at the same time as the right. also don't let it run out of free play on either side.
When they are even you have the carbs synced and the throttles cables set right.
Now with it idling turn the bars full left and right. If the engine revs up you need more free play in the cables, Back off the adjusters the same amount to get enough freeplay so it won't rev when turning.
Now with the bike warmed up give the throttle a quick turn, does it rev quickly with no hesitation, then your mix is ok, if it hesitates open the mix screws 1/8 turn on both carbs. Try the quick throttle again. Adjust the mix to get a smooth roll on with no hesitation. It may bog down on the quick throttle twist if it does turn the mix screw in 1/8 turn.
Now get out on the road and do a few rollons from idle up to about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle looking for smooth acceleration with no bogging or hesitation. This also gets you into the idle to mid range transition. Once you get that set you need a few top end runs, Get it up to around 35 to 40 in say 4th gear rollon from 1/2 to wide open. you should get a smooth transition from the midrange to WOT.
If find that ok then you need to find a long run where in 3rd or 4th you can do a WOT test. hold it wide open for a few seconds to make sure your fully on the mains. Back pf 1/8 turn on the throttle. Does it just back off smoothly or does it have a power surge or bog down.
The power saurge means you should try a bigger main, if it bogs go smaller.
Now test the midrange run from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle does is rev smoothly no hesitation or bogging. If so the bogging means you can drop the needle one step. Hesitation raise it one.
Now retest the idle to mid range and WOT again, the changes to the others may effect the ones already done. Adjust as needed. With a little testing you will get it right.
If you want to do a few plug chops you can. With todays fuel plug reading is getting tougher. They don't tan up like real gas did. You have to look at the smoke ring on the insulator way down deep in side. A 2 mm smoke ring is what I like. Smaller it's lean, bigger it's rich.
Leo

Lots of good tips up there. One other long shot after you've tried all that, the left side is the choke side so check the plunger and gasket to see if any mixture is bypassing it.

Back