dead on the side of the road

Anarchist_Swine

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So on my way home my headlight was kind of dim but the bike was running fine. About half way home however it starts bucking like hitting neutral then going back into gear. At this point I realized the headlight is really dim even with the highbeam on. Anyway it dies. I pop the the clutch and get itinto restart. But no real throttle response. Its sputtering. So on the side of the road ignition in the on position nothing but when its tourned to the right the light is slightly brighter. Yesterday I changed the clutch cable and today it was leaking oil from the left side cover if that means anything. Please help. Thank you.

Another charging system bites the dust. Going to have to trailer her home and sort out your charging problems, I suggest the pma kit from Hughs Handbuilt, but thats just me.

Sound like you have 'er home now. Charge the battery good, then start 'er and see what voltage you see on 'er battery when you rev 'er up to 3k. Rev 'er a few times and let 'er build the voltage up. If you can't get to 14 volts or above, first look at 'er brush length. Then dig into the proverbial Curly's Charging Guide if you have to. Bear in mind the whole time it could be a short to ground in the harness somewhere or a bad crimp or dirty connector instead of 'er charging system components.

I was flying home. I was doing 80. I think if was going to charge it would have. I wanted the upgrade kit mentioned above anyway. I think this is my excuse to shell out the cash and do it so I don't have to worry about it again. Funny thing is when I had the cover off yesterday I thought I should check the brushes. Nope they're fine I told myself and buttoned it all back up. :p

1stIs your battery in good shape? should hold 12v+ with the key turned on,
2nd Check the 2 carbon brushes under the cover on the Left side by the shift lever they wear down the outside one goes first.
3rd Check the Wires in your head light Bucket Maybe one rubbed though the insulation there's lots going on in there with all the wires and the the turning of the front wheel moves them around.

When the light is going dim or the Electric start wont crank as normal its time to remove the fuse for the headlight to save power. That has got me home a few times. One time on the way to work (25miles) the head light got dimmer and dimmer it was early in the dark. 2 miles from work it Quit I thought I was done and gonna be pushing it. I unplugged the fuse for the head light. Gave it a kick it started up and I made it to work. I thought the charging system was shot. But it was my 3month old AGM battery when I got it replaced with a good one the Charging system has worked fine ever since.
An LED tail light helps also.

Don't give up all the issues will get worked out if you stay after it.
in 5 year I've put on 28,000 miles and still have the stock Charging system.

I was flying home. I was doing 80. I think if was going to charge it would have.

True, but you have to diagnose 'er methodically. You start with charging the battery because maybe 'er battery is fubar and won't charge anymore...

So I pull the plug on the headlight and tail light and it kicks second try. But it wont run right its backfiring when I give it gas. Looking at the back wheel I see its been leaking oil on to the chain and spitting oil everywhere. I haven't pulled the cover off yet but it could only be coming from the clutch right? It shifts fine. Is there a way to put it back together wrong so it spits oil?

Guessing a clutch push rod seal, common leakers and fairly easily fixed. Prbably not running right because of low voltage. Charge battery fully and make sure its not the problem, then proceed to the charging system tests and go from there. Many here swear by the original charging system. I for one think it was a bad system when first designed and has just gotten worse with age. IMHO the pma conversion is one of the best mods you can make to your XS, but then again what the hell do I know? :banghead: :thumbsup:

Does anyone have a link for how to read a spark plug? Mine are black and crusty and I want ato know what that means. Im searching on my phone and having trouble finding something on it.

My phone cooperated and I found a link in another thread. My question now is running rich and backfiring may connected to my bad battery and charging system. So do I replace the plugs? And if yes do I put new ones in before I start it up with the new battery and generator or do I risk burning them up again?

+1 on the battery being the issue. And look, when I say battery, I mean the cables as well. I replaced a thought dead battery to find a severely corroded ground cable...so definitely don't underestimate connections and wiring. tons of info on this site that guided me test everything, and it turned out to be exactly what soo many preach about on this site...prehistoric wiring and connects.

Also, yes, a dead battery will make your bike run rich. Basically not firing hard enough to burn the fuel, you dig? Forget those demons, focus on the battery...Buy some new plugs to put in after your charging.

Push rod seals suck. They suck. I bought 3 from mikes. I'm still leaking....so, I plan to order 750 in the am!!

Best of luck and keep em planted

Posted via Mobile

Back