Dear XS650.com, Help me build a bobber....

RedDeerXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey every one.

I'm new here and new to bikes..alltogether new. I'll put up a little history story about where I came onto the XS, but I'll bold the questions for those who hate long stories!

Long story short, I was 9/10ths from picking up a 2007 CBR1000RR rocket-bike even against my tastes and better judgement. Probably not the best to learn on the fastest bike you can find. But it was to be payment for labour on a mustang with a 460ci BB swap.

Well, the project fell through, and I wound up picking up a basket case XS. It's a '78, 650, with a bad noise and no-start. But cheap, so I picked it up. So far, I've torn it down, found the chain guide had fallen apart and the chain slaked off. Valves tagged the pistons just enough to leave trace evidence. Not bent though!

In went a new mikesXS 650 cylinder kit with new OE sized pistons, rings, timing parts and pamcopete ignition. Rattle can the frame and pull the rear shocks and the seat.

Now, here's where I'd like your advice. I swapped the 'special' bar for a drag bar, and think I have the ride hight I want. But, the brake master resevoir now sits on an angle downwards towards the head light, so fluid goes from the pickup. What master have you guys run with drag bars/clip ons??

Next, I'm planning to build struts for the back to get the hight I am after, or weld the swingarm solid and cut the rest off. I plan to pick up a hardtail section this winter and weld it in, but I'm not sure on stretch and ride hight. Where do I measure my desired ride hight? As for stretch, I like the factory wheel base, but would like to know Do I need to stretch the hard tail for battery/electrics box?

Thanks for any bits of advice you have to offer...I'm sure I'll have all kinds of questions in the future.

-Anthony

Why is your master cylinder angled that way? I ran drag bars with the stock master for a long time with no problem. Maybe a pick would help us to understand the problem

the specials had weird angled master cylinders. Keep your fluid level correct and you will not have any problems, even with it being at an angle. ride height is measured from the bottom frame rails. You do not need to stretch it unless you want a longer bike.
As far as your piston kit, did you measure the pistons that were in it before you ordered new ones? if your cylinders have been bored, the new standard size ones will be too small.

Back