Decals and Clear Coat

cooperxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm finally getting ready to apply 2K Max Clear Coat to my rattle can paint job. I also plan on applying a couple of decals and wanted to get some advice first.
Do I simply apply the decal over the rattle can paint, then, apply the clear coat, or, would it be better to apply a coat or two of clear coat, then the decals, then more clear coat? The decals are vinyl and fairly thick so I expect there will be a ridge. If I spill some gas on them, without clear coat underneath, I wonder if the paint will fail at the edges or cracks might form.
Thanks
cooperxs650

Excellent question! When the time comes to repaint/powder coat the bike I have now, I would like a new Manufacturer's sticker with VIN. The original is so faded it only has a few leters and numbers here and there. I wonder if I can get a new one at all. Then like you, I would want to preserve it. I wait with baited breath for an answer...

Story; resto all done, new pro paint. Color, decals clear, buffed and beautiful. Stopped for gas then Motel, parking lot was angled, hot, gas expanded, ran down, got under an edge buffing had exposed, lifted discolored the decal.
xs650 003.JPG
Man I was not happy! I bought the decal, painter refinished. Thicker layer of clear the second time....
DSCN8213.JPG
All pretty again.

Last edited:
Excellent question! When the time comes to repaint/powder coat the bike I have now, I would like a new Manufacturer's sticker with VIN. The original is so faded it only has a few leters and numbers here and there. I wonder if I can get a new one at all. Then like you, I would want to preserve it. I wait with baited breath for an answer...
Not a lawyer, etc., but as far as I know you can't replace a VIN sticker. Really smartest not to touch it at all.

Not a lawyer, etc., but as far as I know you can't replace a VIN sticker. Really smartest not to touch it at all.

Indeed. I’d be concerned that messing (or even improving the condition of) the VIN sticker might impair getting the bike re-registered should you ever sell it or get it appraised or if it were stolen.

Well crap, thanks for the insite guys, the darn decal is pretty much useless as is and when I get the frame podwercoated, I guess it will just get taped off.
At least the metal VIN stamp is prominent

Back