Decided to post my CAFE build

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
Chattanooga Cafe build (myrtle)

Let's start from the beginning, I'm 21 years old in Northwest GA, I had been racing motocross for 11 years. I got a phone call from a family friend last May who told me his dad had passed away and he had a motorcycle in the garage. The son had no idea about it nor did he want it and asked me to come take a look. I went over the following Saturday to find an 81 xs650 special maroon in color with 18k miles. I took it home for $200. I got it home and began to get it in running condition. Then, June 15th of 2012 I had a horrible wreck while training for a race in northeast Alabama. Long story short, I was in and out of a coma with a grade 4 concussion, fractured skull and eye socket. I healed up and in mid July I began to strip the xs down to a cafe racer with clip on bars and a motolanna seat. On August 1st, my 21st birthday I took my first ride on my bike. I had a ring stuck in the right cylinder causing it to leak oil, loose cam chain, couldn't get it to run worth a flip but I was in love. I rode to Deal's gap, trailered it to panama city beach in October and rode it, I was in love. My dad mentioned selling the xs to buy a new one but as I thought on it, I thought of all the old guys who always said "I'd give anything if I had held on to my first bike", so I decided to rebuild the bike from the ground up starting this past May. My plan is shaving the frame, rebuilding the engine with 2nd oversized pistons, 34mm mikuni tm flat slide carbs, cam chain and guide, valve job, electric starter delete, etc. and having everything done in superb condition. Myself and my Grandpa(former suzuki dragbike mechanic) are doing all the work on our own except for the boring, valve job, and paint.

Hope you enjoy.

Here is a similar bike when I first picked it up

1972-yamaha-xs650-for-sale-81-yamaha-xs650-sheboygan-wi-xs650-forum-29492-900x675.jpg

The bike for the first ride:

IMG_2862.jpg

Here we are about to head out for deals gap

IMG_7424.jpg

Here's an action shot on the tail of the dragon

IMG_3886.jpg

Before stripping it down

IMG_6913.jpg

after tearing it apart

IMG_4693.jpg

Dropping everything off at powdercoat

IMG_9043.jpg

Frame, headers, and accessories including fenders will be gloss black, tank will be powdercoated vintage yamaha yellow and I'm putting the Kenny Roberts speedblocks down the side, Wheels will be spoke chrome, Should look good. I pickup from PC next Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime, I will be reassembling the motor.:thumbsup:

If you have an Instagram you can also view the thread at #chattanoogacafebuild

Kenny freaking Roberts, for some reason i always want to call his last name Bell, no idea why, it just makes me sound like an idiot, but yes Kenny Roberts speedblocks

Probably thinking of Kenne Bell superchargers.

Looks like the bike is going to come out nice. Looks like good progress so far.

Nice Bike Sonny, I dig that seat, those clip-ons are so low!

That seat was awesome and I will be keeping it as an alternative seat, The girlfriend hated that seat because there was hardly any room for 2 people so I've actually built my own seat, almost done with it and pictures will be up soon. The clip ons were a little low but not too bad especially when you've seperated a disk in your back lol. I am going to build a set of rear sets for it using some gsxr 1000 pegs. Luckily for me I work as an AutoCAD tech for the Tennessee Valley Authority(tva) so I have access to that kind of design software.

The leather jacket you posed in would have been better for the arms than going bare.

Road rash is never nice especially playing in the tail of the dragon.

Very cool.:thumbsup:

Keep us posted.:)

The leather jacket you posed in would have been better for the arms than going bare.

Road rash is never nice especially playing in the tail of the dragon.

Very cool.:thumbsup:

Keep us posted.:)

I rode from Chattanooga TN. to the dragon in that jacket in mid august and I actually did ride down deals gap with the jacket on and then took it off and rode back up. The awesome thing about that jacket is it was my grandfathers that he bought in 1953 for $5 brand new. The bad is that isn't actually leather, It's rubber with knitted sleeves which makes for a sauna in mid August. I tried my hardest to wear it the entire time but i just hit my breaking point.

Well, I've been getting the engine back together, Cylinders and pistons are on and in, Head is in, new cam chain is in, cam chain guide is in, timing is set, Just picked up valve cover sealer and about to put the rocker arms in the cover tonight. Once the valve cover is finished and the head is done, I will be replacing the clutch pushrods with the long push rod, removing the starter with the block off kit from mikes, and replacing the thrush bearing in the clutch assembly. Once the engine is done its time to break out the degreaser and the pressure washer. I also made my side covers out of aluminum, 1/32 aluminum cut and then bent over my knee. Also building my seat, Used a perception snowskate from walmart, got it half way fitted up then took a heat gun to melt it and form it to the rear loop, Finished cutting it up and Luckily my grilfriends dad is an upholsterer.

Building the seat and fitting up the side covers

IMG_1468.jpg

The seat style I'm going for except black with yellow stitching and 2" tunnels.

IMG_7415.jpg

Just got the call from PC, Powder coating is done so I'll head over there to pick it up in a few. Brass swingarm bushings, steering stem bearings, petcocks, throttlecable, tach cable block off and swingarm grease seals should come in today. Then reassembly time! the side panels are actually going to be mounted using dzus fasteners with welded on back plates.

Edit: Just picked parts up, They look insanely good!!!!!

IMG_1632.jpg

Thats going to be a beautiful bike, really looking nice

Thanks man! I was super worried I may have picked out the wrong yellow because my powder coater didn't have an exact Yamaha yellow he just a had a pallette to pick from and thats what I decided on. I think it turned out decent especially with only a 350 dollar price tag for powdercoating the frame, all the parts, the tank, and fenders.

I just picked up an old metal tail section of an old harley that looks to match up perfect. Now to mount it up and get it coated.:thumbsup:

The white bike you posted is something like I want to do with mine, as far as I know there is no powder coating here..so I will just go with paint..I'm thinking of something like the early 70's Triumph paint jobs. My trouble so far is that I want to use wires for the wheels and as there are not many xs650's in this country it could be hard. I found some old Kawasaki 650 4cyl wires and hope to get them to work. I'm really looking forward to seeing your bike when you finish...Lee
BTW where are you in NW Georgia? I grew up in Atlanta, Cummings area and went to school for one year in Tallula Falls and I know I did not spell that correctly...

Last edited:
Pretty close spelling. It's tallulah falls but I live at the Tennessee Georgia line just below Chattanooga tn.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm running spoke wheels on mine, considering a black rim but, as for powder coating you could always buy a powder coating gun because they are relatively cheap as long as you could find a large oven. Good luck with yours! I'll be watching

Its been a busy 3 day weekend. I'm lucky enough to work 4 10 hour days. After Thursday I started checking stuff out. Fitted up the gas tank and all that good stuff to get an idea of how it will look

IMG_6978.jpg

Then a friend brought me a tail section off an old harley to fit up. I think it will be a cool removable option.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31312&stc=1&d=1371478287

Got the side covers fitted up with dzus fasteners, I didn't realize that one of my mounts with spring would actually hit the battery box which meant I had to cut a little but of the corners off the battery box to make it fit. I will, of course, trim the side panels for the carbs and filters later on.

IMG_8305.jpg

Mounts

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

I also got the engine finished up.
Everything I did:
athena overhaul gasket kit
New cam chain
New front cam chain guide
2nd oversize pistons
valve job with ne guide seals