delete this

I bought a whole bank of four carbs once just to obtain a coiled choke spring and to see how and where it was attached. It happens. This worked out well but was more than I expected to spend, Later I had spare parts when I needed them and that bank of carbs turned out to be a great buy anyway.

Scott

ah,vintage bikes.How is it old bikes come up with NEW problems. On the other hand,new bike repairs can only be done by factory trained techs and repair costs are astronomical. Plus they got no soul. ride an xs, kz 1000, norton, bonneville, suzuki 750 gt, cb 750 and you are hooked. At least I was.I feel the same way about my 95 magna 750 and it is only 22 years old. I guess us old guys like old bikes.

Last edited:
I got the new right side handlebar controls since the old one was fubar.here are 2 pictures.The ignition switch has I believe red,brown and blue wires.The wires coming from old hb switch had brown,blue,blue white,black,red white, red yellow and blue black.The new controls also had a headlight on and off switch.Off probably sends 20170610_150543.jpg
20170610_150543.jpg
more power to start plus one can leave the headlight off in the daytime.I used quick disconnect male and female to put the wires back together.Right now the ignition switch is dangling,not grounded to the bike frame. However, the new controls have no blue black.Just 2 blues.All the other have like colors to match up with.So the blue black was left and 2 blue wires to connect.I hooked one blue to blue.And just guessed the other blue to the blue black.I am guessing the second blue from the new controls was for the headlight on off switch.

Attachments

• 20170624_123516.jpg
    20170624_123516.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 99
The only thing I could try once the ign switch is properly grounded is switch the 2 blues if the ignition switch does nothing.Before i did any of this and put a battery in I could turn the key and the tailight came on.I suppose properly ground the ign switch and see what works.Plus the left handlebar controls come across and connect in some places also.I know the blue white and the red white have 2 destinations.One goes to the ign switch and the other kill switch.I think the blue white goes to the kill switch because the red white is switch on hot.
Lots of fun having wiring that is effed up and carbs also.

The blue/black running into your switch comes from the safety relay. It bypasses the headlight on-off switch and turns the headlight on automatically once the motor is running. Don't connect it if you want the on-off switch to function while the motor is running. The 2 blues coming out of the switch come from the on-off switch and are dash lights and maybe tail light, or it could just be 2 dash light connections. You probably only need connect one of them up. The blue coming out of the ignition switch runs directly to the tail light. It is turned on with the key, you have no control over it with the on-off light switch on your model.

you are a genius.I know this osunds crazy but once i get this bike running and reliable I may make it like an exile chopper bike by russell mitchell only unchoppered.i.e.flat black,not super shined up cases,very miniapes,red wheels.Or not.Stock is awesome but I cant afford d 2 bikes. Miles of work before that becomes a choice to make.Russell and Indian larry are 2 of my favorites. No candy easter egg paint, no long frontends. Just very rideable. Its a shame the 750 failed so miserably.Its attempts at counterbalancing fried motors. The extra cc's and HP would have been nice.

I just messaged the guy I paypaled the money too.I am a little fearful.On the mikes xs site it only shows complete assemblies for $359-$399 for bs 34s.I know they should bolt on and work.But wont the 34s be way less performance.I asked him about it and his response was he really didnt know what size they were, he knows they ran ok on his bike that started easily and ran briefly. Those things make me a little curious.Especially when spending $236 for parts and shipping.They include the manifolds, all mountings and foam filters.

There's little, if any, performance difference between the BS34s and the BS38s. The BS34s may actually be a little better through the midrange because they are smaller. They're also a more modern design and lighter than the BS38s. If they are the 34s, it's good that he's sending the manifolds too. They are a different size than the ones you have for your 38s.

awesome.your handle- does that mean you have 5 of these? I can see myself having at least one more.This one as a resto mod, a second for full custom.I have a friend that is a mechanical genius and an excellent metal fabricator plus expert status tig welder. he cant paint though. But there is an expensive place here that does that.But ace in the whole i have a friend whose brother is also my friend that paints all the trucks for a peterbuilt plant here.I am like a kid in the candy store.

Not five 650 Yamahas (only one so far), just five twin cylinder motorcycles. But the number fluctuates, lol. I buy another or sell one, and do you count the ones all in pieces? I've probably got enough parts to almost put together a couple more, lol.

Not five 650 Yamahas (only one so far), just five twin cylinder motorcycles. But the number fluctuates, lol. I buy another or sell one, and do you count the ones all in pieces? I've probably got enough parts to almost put together a couple more, lol.

Hi 5T,
it counts as a bike if you have enough pieces to build up into a runner.
Otherwise it's just a part of your parts stash.

I was just out in the garage messing with little stuff on the motorcycle.The throttle cable keeps falling out of the handlebar switch.I am hoping its because there is no tension on it because the end that would connect to a carb has no carb to attach to.My question is this, and i could hardly believe what i saw.It looks like the throttle cable routes through the headlight? That can't be.There is already enough junk inside that bucket.I have always seen the throttle cable be out and around, near the handlebars,and eventually make its way down to the carburetor.I would find it very hard to take the headlight apart anytime the cable needs replaced.My bike is so apart right now.This is the time to fix that.Please advise.

Throttle cable does not route through the headlight. That's an odd thing. If that cable is entering and exiting the headlight bucket it must have one hell of a kink in it, probably so much kink that the cable is no good to use.

Scott

thank you sir. I thought it was quite odd.I will relook. And for sure remove it from the headlight area. probably my eyes. I did look 3 times. Thanks for confirming.

Wow Ron - your bike sounds like it really needs some help.

Dammit - I'll be right over. Just one question:
1) where the heck is Denton Texas?
2) do you have sufficient BEvERages for an all night troubleshooting session - or should I bring some along?

Pete

heh heh.I responded on the other thread.It doesnt go through the bucket.It was my old eyes.I checked several times before making the dumb statement.Denton is 30 minutes from dallas fort worth international airport.Denton is on the northern tip of the dfw metroplex.Home to 6.7 million people.Beer? You kidding? This is texas. There are craft beer watering holes on every corner. We also have the best bbq and mexican food money can buy.So come on down.:cheers:

Back