Did I order wrong spokes??

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
Ok so I have an 81 that originally had a 16" rear wheel and I got an 18" rim to replace the 16" because I like the way it looks. But the spokes I ordered from Mikes are to long? I ordered the "Spoke Set - Rear 36pc.+ Nipples - Bright Cadium Plated Finish
Fits: XS/TX 650's (1970-84) with 18" Drum Brake Rear"
did I order the wrong ones? is the hub size different between an 81 with a 16" and a XS with a 18" stock rear wheel? Which spokes do I need? Thanks Bill

P8130059.JPG

P8130058.JPG

Man, those are gonna look sweet.

The hubs are the same for the 16 or 18" wheels. It looks like you have your lacing pattern correct, but find a picture of an 18" already laced up to be sure. That rim looks small for an 18, but I could be imagining things as well...

Posted via Mobile

your angle is too shallow. have a look at the pic

yamaha_xs_650_wheels_02.jpg

i had to do mine 3 times before i got it right

there should be no triangle where the top and bottom spokes cross each other
the angle of the spoke to the edge of the hub should be about 45 degrees. yours looks like about 60

Yes, your pattern is wrong. An inner and outer that are next to each other on the same flange and cross should be 6 holes apart on the rim. From your pic, it looks like you only have them 2 holes apart.

FrontSpokePattern.jpg

You can't put both inners and outers in on one flange like you've done. You'll never get the last few spokes in the other side. You must lace all the inners, both sides, first, then do all the outers. Consecutive spokes of the same type (inner or outer) on the same flange will be 4 holes apart on the rim.

Last edited:
I remember something about 4 holes apart but I just overlooked this. I always lace mine with all spokes in the hub, then fit the rim onto it. It's been a long, long time since I've had to lace a wheel though. Lacing one side at a time can be a huge nightmare IIRC.

Back