did i screw up my welds?

1987notchback

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, have been doing a bobber project on my 78 xs. i started in 2010, been a slow process bc of school/work and a new born. i got my hardtail done by tc bros in 2010. i think i may have screwed up. when i got it i thought it would be cleaner if i ground down some of the weld to make a cleaner apperance. i think that may have weakend the frame/welds? what do you guys think? if i did my friend has a shop and could reweld the tig welds if needed. i only have a mig. thanks mike

ttwp.gif

Bit hard to tell but looks OK. Careful with that grinder! Anymore people like to show off nice "stack O dimes" TIG welds.

yeah wish i had just left them alone bc they are nice welds. dumb move on my part using the bike as my first fab project. have been working on improving my skills in the past year or two. now looking at what i did i want to slap myself. the main one that i am worried about is the 2 main welds that attach the lower frame to the hardtail. the good news is i will be installing peg mounts that will be right over that weld and hopefully make it stronger. i am doing a assembly/build b4 i powder or paint anything so when i take it apart i may bring the bar frame to my friend to have him take a look at it. that being said i feel better now that you looked at the pics. thanks for the help mike

It's hard to tell.. It all comes down to how good the penetration of the weld was. I would say keeping chugging along but keep an eye on those welds when you start riding, it's highly unlikey they would just brake. Probably start to Crack at first, so you could catch it and reweld it. Personally I like the stack of dime look and my welding instructor used to always say " the strength is in the weld" you grind the weld you lose some strength.

I think you went way to far with the grinder and it needs to be fixed. You didnt grind the weld down you gouged into the tube and removed alot of material. If it were me I would fix it, and leave the 4 1/2 inch in the tool box drawer....

I think you went way to far with the grinder and it needs to be fixed. You didnt grind the weld down you gouged into the tube and removed alot of material. If it were me I would fix it, and leave the 4 1/2 inch in the tool box drawer....
that.....and im sure they would be very happy to know one of there frames was subject to vanity. Those are professionals biulding serios peices. this is not a hobby to them.
But, to save face, I think they sleeve and plug there frames were the new meets old. yamaha used very thin tubing. (most do). You might consider getting some tubing with inside diameter that matches the outside diameter, and cut it inhalf to reinforce that "T" area. thats scary lookin.
All in all though, thank you for grinding thru thier welds, it shows no porosity, and looks well penetrated.
Not bein a dick here

Did you plug weld the two pieces which joined? If so, you are good. I don't think you have much to worry about as long as you know you got the penetration needed.

Maybe hit it with the welder again and knock it down a little. You can then use JB weld or something to smooth the welds if you are looking for a smooth finish.

The parts around where it was welded looks gouged into pretty bad. Im not sure it's worth rewelding. The part that's welded is probably fine. I would def be more concerned with everything else around the weld where it will always fail anyway. The weld doesn't usually break it's next to the weld that fails.

yeah like i said stupid move on my part. i just got a better welder so i may try to plug it for now. but that is just a temp fix. yes they do have slugs welded in. not really going for the smooth look now, but when i started a while back i thought that i was going to. also not to repeat myself but i will be bringing it to my friend who does fab work for a living before i trust my lack of skills. maybe my post was not clear when i said i screwed up and went to far with the grinder. yes i know that i also gouged the tube. that is part of the concern. thanks guys for the positive info and help Mike

Last edited:
:thumbsup:
that.....and im sure they would be very happy to know one of there frames was subject to vanity. Those are professionals biulding serios peices. this is not a hobby to them.
But, to save face, I think they sleeve and plug there frames were the new meets old. yamaha used very thin tubing. (most do). You might consider getting some tubing with inside diameter that matches the outside diameter, and cut it inhalf to reinforce that "T" area. thats scary lookin.
All in all though, thank you for grinding thru thier welds, it shows no porosity, and looks well penetrated.
Not bein a dick here

im sure they would be very happy to know one of there frames was subject to vanity. Those are professionals biulding serios peices. this is not a hobby to them.

Vanity? maybe you should look up the definition. i wrote this making it clear i screwed up and am looking to fix it. not a hobby to them? thanks captain obvious:thumbsup:
not to be a dick

also not to repeat myself but i will be bringing it to my friend who does fab work for a living before i trust my lack of skills. maybe my post was not clear when i said i screwed up and went to far with the grinder. yes i know that i also gouged the tube. that is part of the concern. thanks guys for the positive info and help Mike

now is the time to say hey! ive been there once now i know what not to do. dont bring it to a friend ...figure out what happened and corrcet it so it only happens once. you know when you are going to far now and watch the other end of the grinder.

i agree i am going to bring it to him to check my work and to make sure it is safe to ride and i have locked my grinder in my safe. Thanks Mike

Back