Didn't see a thing

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've told this a few times over the years, it gets a lot of grins. Nearly 40 years ago I worked as a maintenance helper as a young guy. Me and the 2 older guys would hang out behind the plant at lunch break on the graveyard shift. Bernie was a hunter/trapper/biker from way back, and Joe was an old tank driver who went thru Africa and Europe with Patton's 3rd army. Both had seen plenty in their time. I was 24. We were admiring the stars in the night sky, when something came streaking across the sky, from one horizon to the other, at jet like speed. Problem was it kept juking up or down at perfect 90 degree angles, no curving. All the while we are are trying to figure what can go that fast and hit those sharp right angles. And just like every UFO story you ever heard, it eventually shot straight up and gone. I said to Bernie that was really weird, wonder what the hell it could be. He said, quote, "I didn't see a damn thing". So I turned to Joe and said we all saw that, and Joe looked me straight in the face and said, quote, "You're on your own, kid"..... Nobody was going to think they might be nuts.

Yep, them older folks of the previous generation grewup under different rules of social stigma.

Like unwed mothers, they just don't publicize that stuff.

During their time, the frontal lobotomy was a standard procedure, like removing tonsils.

Nowadays, we're all unabashed and curious as hell.
Just lookit all them UFO videos out there.
It would take at least a dozen lifetimes to see them all...

Hi weaselbeak,
I've had two UFO encounters.
The first was in England, I saw a weird thing flying low and slow, it looked like a stick atop a cross silhouetted against the low cloudbase.
I chased it on my motorbike.
Finally got close enough to recognize it.
Bristol type 172 twin-rotor helicopter picking up an emergency landed DeHavilland Chipmunk trainer aircraft.
The second was in rural Manitoba. there was a "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" type of bright flashing light coming along the highway towards my pickup truck when I was driving home from a hunting trip.
My buddy Eddy was shoving shells into his 12-gage and saying "They ain't getting me without a fight."
Turns out the flashing light was the setting sun reflected off an oncoming camper truck's wind shield.
But if I hadn't gotten close enough to the helicopter/chipmunk combo to recognize it or if the oncoming camper had turned off before we met, I'd still be a UFO believer.
And one day it WILL happen.
Aliens will land. They'll have a book entitled "How to Serve Man." It'll be a cookbook.

Back