Difference?

LuisN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, how big of a difference is the XS650 engine to the TX650 engine? I am about to purchase parts for the XS650 but i THINK if im correct its a TX650 motor. if its the same then i will go ahead and press process order!

someone will come in with more in depth info. but tx650 is 73, tx650A is 74. thats about all i know, because i have a 74. 74 and up there arent many differences, 73 and down, many differences.

The 73 is a 256 motor and the 74 is a 447 motor. The main difference is in the rods and cam gear. The rods are longer on the 256 engine and uses a different piston. The cam sprockets (crank and cam) and chain on the 256 are also different. You can swap parts from to 256 and 447 engine but it has to be done as as set. So you can use 256 rods/pistons in a 447 engine but you need to run the 447 cam stuff. Or you can swap every thing form the 447 and use it in the 256 (crank,pistons,and all cam stuff). or do the reverse everything from the 256 to the 447. The 73 still used the compression release I believe. May be other differences some of the others can chime in to correct or add.

so it shouldnt matter for cam shaft bearing, dis-assembly etc correct?

No, it shouldn't matter for that but if you need parts, including gaskets, those may differ. As an example, the head gasket was different between the 256 and 447 motors .....

Early-LateHeadGaskets.jpg

Back