Differences between various XS650's

crispiegee

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I looked around the forum before I posted, so I hope I'm not asking something stupidly obvious...

I've been riding for a dozen years and have owned a four cylinder Yamaha during that whole time, as well as - for the past three years - a '74 Moto Guzzi. Last night, I rode an XS650 for the first time. It was a 1980 Special in rough-but-running shape for $550. It was an absolute BLAST and now I want one. (There was another guy with cash-in-hand, plus a trailer, so I let him buy it.)

My question is, are the frames on the regular XS650 and the 650 Special different, or is the only difference the handlebars and seat? My preference is for a standard XS650, but if I found a ratty 650 Special, I could always customize it into a flat tracker style (assuming the frame would lend itself to that kind of geometry).

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Chris

The upper shock mounts are further forward (and the shocks longer) on the Specials than the Standards but that isn't an issue. You can do anything you want style-wise with a Special frame.

Hey crispiegee, welcome to the forum. No, you're not asking something stupidly obvious, rather something that can get very complicated. To go into detail here would fill a book.

You can kinda clump the various XS650 models into 2-year groupings (like 1st year changes, 2nd year tweaks).
70-71 72-73 74-75 76-77 78-79 80-on.

A good info source, available on eBay: "Yamaha XS-650 Performance Portfolio 1969-1985, Brooklands books, Surrey, England" (still available).

An example thread: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29346

The upper shock mounts are further forward (and the shocks longer)

Nope. The standard and Special shocks are the same length. The slight forward tilt allows the Special to sit a little bit lower in the back. A longer shock can put it up to the standard height.

Hi gang,

I looked around the forum before I posted, so I hope I'm not asking something stupidly obvious...

I've been riding for a dozen years and have owned a four cylinder Yamaha during that whole time, as well as - for the past three years - a '74 Moto Guzzi. Last night, I rode an XS650 for the first time. It was a 1980 Special in rough-but-running shape for $550. It was an absolute BLAST and now I want one. (There was another guy with cash-in-hand, plus a trailer, so I let him buy it.)

My question is, are the frames on the regular XS650 and the 650 Special different, or is the only difference the handlebars and seat? My preference is for a standard XS650, but if I found a ratty 650 Special, I could always customize it into a flat tracker style (assuming the frame would lend itself to that kind of geometry).

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Chris
Welcome aboard!

550 for a titled runner is a STEAL. Good luck matching that opportunity. If I was doing another one I think I'd make it BDR worthy.

And now if anyone else comes across it in a search the information the thread was asking for has been updated ................Aaaaand there is one person who has now been introduced to information he never knew was on the site...............

Back