Different sprockets for 650s'

durgam_K

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IM running a Katana rear wheel and suspension on my Cafe project. Stock gearing for XS is 17-34, if i recall. Stock Katana is 15-47. And the smallest rear sprocket for a Katana i can find is 42, which is way too big for what i want, and I cant find any other size for 650's but 17t. does anyone else make anything different. maybe a 520 conversion??? or a smaller tooth front? I can get a Katana 520 conversion in a 39 if needed. Any help is appreciated

IM running a Katana rear wheel and suspension on my Cafe project. Stock gearing for XS is 17-34, if i recall. Stock Katana is 15-47. And the smallest rear sprocket for a Katana i can find is 42, which is way too big for what i want, and I cant find any other size for 650's but 17t. does anyone else make anything different. maybe a 520 conversion??? or a smaller tooth front? I can get a Katana 520 conversion in a 39 if needed. Any help is appreciated
right 17/34 stock which is 2:1 the smallest you can go on the front of the xs is a 15 with your 42 rear that is 2.8:1 in other words ok if you want a trench digger not so good for riding:laugh: some of the sprocket co. will make special sprockets but what you need to look at is the diameter of the Katana hub, how small of a sprocket can be fitted to it?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 61
Mikes has a 18t 520. with that and the katana 39T i found gives me 2.16:1. Right? That will be a little off from stock, but Im running a slieghtly smaller rear wheel. A 130/70-17, or a 120/80-17.

ooops:doh: went the wrong way on my thinking, yes 18t would give you 2.16 still a little low but ok the xs has a liberal rev range you'ld definatly be "up on the pipe" at highway speeds but whatever, makes no difference 520 or 530 unless you need the spacing offset with a cafe you might be wanting the snap of the lower gearing out of the corners anyway

Back