Dilema-Can I cut up a new xs650?

reallybigtim

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all......I would like to introduce myself and hear some opinions about my dilema. I have found the type of bike I want to build.....a brat-style XS650. I am not a great mechanic or a welder so I wanted to find a good, clean running bike for the build. It only took me about a week to find a good donor bike. The problem is.....it might be too good. I found an '83 black Heritage Special. The bike has 300 original miles and is in almost perfect condition. This was an estate find. The bike has had the carbs rebuilt, tank and petcock cleaned, and a tune-up and oil change. The only bad thing is they tried that seafoam stuff before they rebuilt the carbs and blued the pipes and mufflers. The bike runs perfect.....even the original tires are soft and not dry-rotted. And the lower side covers are still on it. I still can't believe that I found it.

I would like to hear opinions and advice from everybody about this dilema. Should I make the bobber I want or would it be taboo to modify a "new" XS650?

its yours, so you can do as you please. between this site and 650garage, you get a lot of xs folk. it may fetch a price that could suprise you, maybe you could offer it up. if no one is prepared to come up with the reddies, then they cant complain if you cut it up! rare find though, how bout some pix?

I will try to get pictures posted in the next few days. I am not sure if I would sell it....just keep it stock and find another one to build.

The bike actually had only 40 original miles a couple of months ago. After the fuel system was cleaned and carbs rebuilt (by Yamaha)......they rode it up to 300 miles to sell it because the mileage on the title was incorrectly filled out by the late owner's brother and they didn't think that they could legally sell it that way.

sounds pretty awesome! just my opinion, but i vote to keep it stock. or at least keep all mods bolt on. cheers

reallybigtim,

It would be a real shame to cut up a bike that only has 300 miles on it. Sell it before you cut it up. You should get about twice the asking price for such a gem.

Thanks pamcopete......I know that is the right thing to do......but now I am back to trying to find a good donor bike. The original idea was to find an easy build and this one would be as easy as they come. I don't have the time needed to do a project. Maybe I can trade this bike for a brat that is already built? Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the advice, yamaman. The bike I want to build would use the brat kit to lower the seat. That's the look I want.

Move it on and make a wedge of cash.

It would be a real shame to cut that up, offer it up on here and the other 650 sites first to see if an enthusiast wants it, if not put it on the bay and hold out for the right amount of cash.

Once it's sold use the money you made to either buy a Brat that's already built or to buy the right kind of donor bike and parts, you'll probably come out on top financially and still have the type of bike you want.

At the end of the day it's your bike and you should do what you want with it.

I am not a great mechanic or a welder

So why are you choosing to own an old bike again that you want to modify?

People that cant do the work, try to do the work themselves and it ends up being given away cause "i got in over my head"

these bikes require constant mechanical know how to stay running well, this isn't a new efi bike that you plate once a year and fill with gas, change oil once and while and it will run fine for the life of the machine.

What would a bike like this be worth then? How do you place a value on something that has 300 miles on it? The value guides are not very friendly to these bikes.

My advice would be to keep it stock or find it a good home. You can sell it for a good price and then buy someone elses money pit. I have a hardtail that was already chopped by the PO, but then he realized how much it cost to have someone else weld the tail on, how much the tail cost's, the controls you now need, the linkage, and all the other bits like electrical, fenders, battery relocation, lights, ect.,you know, the simple stuff. So I got a nice bike, that I could manage, for a good price 'cuz he lost interest.
I understand you only want a drop seat, so my second piece of advice, or more like a question, is, have you ever riden a drop seat or hardtail? Make sure you do.

And as CDNTX650 says, these are not something you start up and ride around, then just put it away until next time. If you are not a mechanic, you will be after owning one.
If you want a drop seat, but a reliable engine, then I would get a S40 or something newer and cut it up.
I'm not trying to persuade you either way, just my thoughts. So many people get a bike and cut it up making a chopper or brat or whatever you call it. Then they realize it actually is a lot of work and money to get it ridable, let alone safe.

you can do whatever you please with it. Maybe if you are afraid to cut it up, try selling it for some more money and pick up a more beat up xs! :D

I was told not to cut mine up since its a 74, but i didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell mine and then going out and searching for another xs so i just kept mine

Don't know where you are located. In the US a RUST FREE near perfect ultra low miles bike like that is probably in the $3-4K range. I think the 83 heritage specials are really nice bikes as is. If you know enough to getting it running well as a stocker try for a craigslist trade; Perfect stocker for your running stocker/mod plus cash you never know what might be out there.
If you are anywheres near me I have lots of bikes I would trade towards that one!

Also, try trading for a stock xs that is in oerfect running condition since you arent a good mechanic and would be better to learn on a good running bike that is unmolested

The brat-style XS650 is the bike I am going to build. I would not want the newer technology of a todays bikes. That is why I like this bike for a bobber build....It's new and old.....plus I don't have to rebuild everything or fix a bunch of mistakes from someone else's failed dream. I use to restore old cars and I have been riding all my life. I have mechanical know-how but that doesn't mean I want be working on a bike more than I am riding it (I have had those bikes). I assume that once you fix the typical problems correctly, these are reliable bikes. Am I right?

What is this "maintenace" and "constant work" you people speak of. My bike knows no such blah blah blah blah...

But you would probably come out way ahead of the game to sell it and get yourself something a little rougher. I couldnt care less if you cut up a mint bike. People get waaaay to emotional over these mass produced little gems. The plus side to cutting up the one you've got is that its engine is preactically brand new so no tear down and re-bore ect ect for years to come.

reallybigtim,
I think you have more mechanical knowledge than you allude to.
I ride an average of 350 miles a week commuting.
So in a months time I can plan on 2 chain tightenings, check the cam chain adjuster and valves and reset 1 time, an oil change at minimum checking the filters for debris every
3rd oil change(a little over 15K I'm looking for black plastic it is gonna happen).
That is the minimum for me.
You can also add time for changing drive ratio(sprockets) beefing the clutch with stronger springs, checking the brushes(they do wear out), cleaning the carb jets, a check of your voltage(if you don't install something to check it all the time).
Lube cables, pivot points for the stands and swingarm....
And I consider myself to be a slacker when it comes to tip top maintenance cause I should still be occasionally checking for cracks, loose spokes, slop in the swingarm and notchy stem bearings, oil weepage at the clutch push rod, loose drive sprocket nut, etc. etc....

It isn't work if you enjoy it I guess.

4-5 years ago I paid what I consider to be top dollar for an immaculate 83.
It wasn't anywhere near 3-4K. And wouldn't give that for ANY XS650.
Not saying some aren't worth that to others.
Just not to me.
Your bike, your decision and after it is built is anyone gonna know what you started with unless you tellem.

An interesting question is how reliable a 30 year old engine/electrics/carbs that have 300 miles on them will be.
Things die of old age and disuse as well as miles maybe even more.

Back