Diode missing on 75B?

clintinga

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought a new wiring harness from mikes, hooked it all up and now the turn signals don't work and every time I turn them on , it blows the fuse. I am guessing it is grounding somewhere but I have looked to no avail. It doesn't matter which side signals I turn on. Also, in the middle of the harness, there is a blue/ red stripe and a blue/ white stripe that don't have anything to plug into. The diagrams show a diode there! Am I missing it? I dunno, I plugged to the two together and if I hit the rear brake pedal, the starter turned! It has me baffled. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint

The diode works with a switch on the rear brake to light an indicator on the dash to tell you the brake pads are worn out.
The switch on the brakes when activated draws power of the starter button wire. The diode keeps power flowing the right way to light the light with out effecting the starter.
Leave the wires unhooked and don't worry about the diode.
On the turn signals it might be the flasher unit, toss it and get a 522 flasher from the parts store. Plug it in where the stock flasher was. The new flasher has just two prongs, be sure the two prongs plug in where the brown and brown/white wires are. The black wire is a ground for the stock flasher It won't be used.
Leo

Thanks Leo. I thought that I could leave out the diode and was hoping someone would chime in and confirm that. I finally figured out the turn signals. I eliminated everything but the switch and knew it had to be that. I was getting power in but not out. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and put it back together and it still didn't work. I re-eliminated everything back to the switch, took it apart again and realized the brown wire was not touching the pole? on the board in the switch. So, 5 minutes to solder it back on and the blinkers work! Now if I can just figure out why mikes #4 starter gear fix doesn't work for my starter I will be home free.

Clint

I fixed my starter just by tightening the wishbone spring and the coil return spring. The gears themselves had some wear but not bad.
Leo

Okay, tightening the wishbone spring? Do you mean the part that clips on the gear or the little wishbone part? I have the new spring and gear from mikes but it still didn't work. And the return spring, are you expanding it more or compressing it more to tighten? I would assume expand it more bc the new gear in the mikes kit is twice as long as the old one.

Thanks,

Clint

On the wish bone spring you squeeze the little end closed a bit. On the return , stretch it out.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 55
Leo,

I tried what you suggested and it still doesn't work. Any more suggestions? This is really frustrating me.

Thanks,

Clint

You need to squeeze it enough so when installed on the gear it takes at least 5 lbs to turn the spring on the gear. I measure it with one of my electronic fish weighing scale.
Thats all I can suggest except replacing with new parts.
Leo

Leo,

Thanks for all your help. I squeezed the clip again and this time I did it as hard as I could. I then squeezed the big part together too and slowly worked it on the gear and it worked! Again, thank you so much for all your help!

Clint

Back