Dipstick broken inside engine/ now bike won't start

jmatlow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a motorcycle in about 8 years. My first bike was a 76 Yamaha XS360-- had a really good time with it and learned to appreciate older Yamaha's.

When I came across this 81 XS650 Special II I snatched it up. The bike needed new tires and a brake line to be rideable so i couldn't test drive it. However, when it cranked up it was very strong and sounded in pretty good shape.

After topping the oil off I went for a ride (55 mi round trip) No problems. 15 minutes later I took it out again it was running fine and it backfired. Stopped at a red light with a light backfire I gradually lost power until it stalled out. Pulled it to the side of the road and tried to diagnose the problem. I noticed the oil cap was loose and when i took it out the part that shows the oil level had broken off inside the bike. I've observed oil on some parts of the bike below the cap as well as on the air filter behind it. I assume this oil was being blown out of the cap area? Or it may be a leak somewhere else.

I checked the fuel line to the carb I'm getting gas.

I took out the side oil filter and it had shards of metal stuck to it.

I removed the bottom oil filter and found 4 pieces of black plastic in the oil pan. There was also a hole in this filter.

I just ordered these two filters online and they're on the way. I never found the piece that shows the oil measurements though, unless the shredded metal is it.

I'm pretty sure just changing the oil filters won't make this bike start back up again.

So my question is what else should I check? What could the broken piece of metal hit that would cause the bike to lose power and not start? or is this just a coincidence and i should be looking for another problem?

thanks for any help you can give me. I'm feeling like an idiot for being so excited to start riding this bike that I didn't check everything out and left the oil cap loose.

Maybe you can fish the dipstick out with a strong radio shack magnet taped to a coat hanger? If by backfire you mean a loud pop in the exhaust, that can be from too rich. That could be a bad float needle or seat since everything had been fine earlier. It would cause you to loose power and die

Last edited:
I wouldn't be all that worried about hte dipstick go to the tech tab located at the top of every page go through the it's new to me list and check off all the items. As far as dieing; it could be a charging (low battery volts) issue or carbs. The Curly's charging guide and countless threads deal with charging issues and troubleshooting. You may have stirred up rust and varnish that has been collecting for years, get into the jets and orifices, seen that happen many times. The metal is most likely the from the front cam chain guide. Not imediately serious but think a top overhaul next winter. How many miles on the bike?

I'll try the magnet for the dipstick. thanks for the suggestions!

and thanks Gary, I'll go through the new to the bike and troubleshooting threads and see what I can figure out.

I'm gonna go ahead and order new filters and everything I think I might need from mikesxs today and then go from there.

The bike has 21,000 miles on it.

The magnet trick worked perfectly, thanks for the tip.

Last night I changed the spark plugs and did the test for spark and was good.

I did the compression test and got 150psi which is right on from what I read.

I have new air filters and oil, and sump oil filters coming in today to put on it.

On the electrical system I noticed a few things. When the key is turned on the rear light comes on but not the front. On the fuse box the part that is labeled headlight doesn't even have a fuse or wires running out of it. The headlight worked fine when the engine was started so I wonder if somewhere they wired around it?

Also when trying to use the starter it just makes a clicking noise. Is this the sign of a bad starter or bad battery? I'll take the battery in tonight to get fully charged and then open the carbs and see if I see anything going on in there.

I'm ready to get this thing back on the road!

headlight: does not come on on specials until the engine is running

clicking noise: dead battery. Put on trickle charger overnight, start in morning, measure voltage at battery when running at 2000 rpm, should be 14.5 volts. if it is not, then you probably need brushes for your alternator (which you should probably check anyway)

a dead charging system (probably just brushes) will cause the symptoms you originally described. The bike will run for many minutes on just the battery, then start stumbling, then die.

After changing the oil sump filter, removing the dipstick, changing the oil filter,changing the spark plugs and changing the air filters from these (http://www.amazon.com/Filter-Filters-YAMAHA-XS650-52mm/dp/B004MSE7IM) is what they looked like to the XS Performance filters on Mike's I was able to get the bike started.

I took it for a ten minute ride and everything seems to be heating up a lot hotter than it was before. I'm guessing this is either from the spark plugs (which were really hot when i took them out) or the mixture being too lean because of the difference in the air filters?

After the short ride, I was able to restart the bike with the starter so I think the charging system is at least working some. I'm going to get the battery charger tonight and fully charge the battery.

This may sound silly, but where exactly are the Alternator Brushes located?

thanks for all the help guys. I'm new to mechanics and looking forward to getting this thing running the way it should.

Alternator brushes are under the left side cover plate, where you check your timing, right in front of the shifter.

Did you check voltage at 2000 rpm?

If you have the brush mount out and don't pay attention to the screw placement/pattern you might regret it.
Sometimes a post comes up about "I changed my brushes now it won't turn over"
I suspect this may be the cause.
You are looking at the INSIDE of the stator. And you will have to look hard to see.
pic seqeunce correct, incorrect and results.

Attachments

• correct screw placement in stator.jpg
    correct screw placement in stator.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 179
  • mixed up screws in stator.jpg
    mixed up screws in stator.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 148
  • screw marks in rotor  2.jpg
    screw marks in rotor 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 137
  • screws marks in rotor.jpg
    screws marks in rotor.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for all the help guys. The charging system seems to be working well now. I ended up replacing the fuse holder which seemed to be the culprit with my electrical issues.

I've been using this bike to commute to work (70 mi roundtrip) and it's riding like a dream now. The clutch cable broke off recently at the lever and I got to experience a 35 mi trip with clutchless shifting. it seemed like it all worked out. getting a new clutch cable today and should be back on the road.

thanks again for all the help!

Back