Dirt bike front end?

650badger

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’ve come across posts that mention it. Even seen some examples. But how feasible would it be? What modifications would need to be done for this kind of swap? Any two cents would be much appreciated.

I've started that kind of swap... putting together a bitsa scrambler sorta thing. I had an XT fork / triples setup. I cut / machined an XS stem out of an XS lower tree and pressed the XT stem out of its alloy lower triple. The XS stem in the XT triple allows it to bolt up without any further mods.

I did a deep dive into alternative forks some years ago to see what could be swapped in. Seems there were a bunch of 35mm from various Yamaha dirt bikes that presumably would slide into the yokes. Not sure about axle spacing on any.
I eventually swapped the stem to fit some 36mm xs750 Standard forks and triples like atom448 mentions above.

If I was planning to get a longer travel fork for an XS650, I would definitely look for a fork/ wheel combo with a reasonably big disc brake and a decent caliper. Maybe some kind of a supermotard fork
I’ve seen examples of people using Yz forks. And theres no shortage of big brake upgrades in the supermoto market. Seems really appealing, especially because I could get a front wheel that could bolt straight on. But I would like to know of a more economical way to swap them before immediately resorting to something like a custom stem.

I would try to experiment with it, but don’t got the tools or the time unfortunately.

would try to experiment with it, but don’t got the tools or the time unfortunately.
The very simplest solution is stock forks/wheels with dirt tires. Custom springs and shocks should get you there. Just lately it seems Sportsters are getting dirt bike treatments and the stock forks get modified. Traxxion Dynamics is in that business. It stands to reason, if they can do it to a Sportster, they can do it to an XS650.

The very simplest solution is stock forks/wheels with dirt tires. Custom springs and shocks should get you there. Just lately it seems Sportsters are getting dirt bike treatments and the stock forks get modified. Traxxion Dynamics is in that business. It stands to reason, if they can do it to a Sportster, they can do it to an XS650.
Yes, the stock XS fork actually has fairly long stroke for a street bike, 150 mm or 6". Suitable spring rate and damping valves should get you a bit towards offroad capability. For a bit more ride height/ ground clearance maybe some "chopper" tubes could be shortened to desired length. And be aware that leading axle forks in the stock triple trees will result in significantly shorter trail! As in tankslapper territory....

Depending on what you’re trying to ride, my beach cruiser never had any problems with dirt roads, sand or trails that were for 4x4. Now it wasn’t going off jumps or crazy trail rides, it was quite heavy for that. If I wasn’t concerned with dropping it, I’m sure I could have pushed it quite farther than I did.

Stock from end, progressive springs and adjustable preloads.

It wasn’t better than a 70s dirt bike, but it could transition to the highway and cruise at 75/80 all day, which a dirt bike of the 70s couldn’t.

Back