"Dirty" little secrets

15cherries

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My hands are covered with chain lube and I have a huge smile on my face!!! I have a 1979 canadian edition xs650 special that for some strange reason comes with a 36 tooth rear sprocket. I installed a 31 tooth and went riding, ha! what a difference, cruising 60-65 mph effortlessly out of the vibration zone, thanks to the forum again and I'll keep reading old posts and tech pages cause you never know what little nuggets of information I will find.

My hands are covered with chain lube and I have a huge smile on my face!!! I have a 1979 canadian edition xs650 special that for some strange reason comes with a 36 tooth rear sprocket. I installed a 31 tooth and went riding, ha! what a difference, cruising 60-65 mph effortlessly out of the vibration zone, thanks to the forum again and I'll keep reading old posts and tech pages cause you never know what little nuggets of information I will find.

Hi 25cherries,
my '84 Heritage Special also came from the factory with a 36T rear sprocket.
17T/34T is the usual stock for North American XS650s & Euros had 17T/33T.
I'd suppose that your bike's dreaded PO either ran a sidecar or REALLY wanted to be first away at traffic lights.
About the chain lube, install a ScottOiler.
Note that ScottOiler's fancy red lubricant is identical to chainsaw bar oil which costs WAY less...

My regular rider (76) is 17/36. Tach reads about 4100 at 60 mph. Once the motor is on the main needles it smoothes out.
Also steps away from a stop nicely.

Back