Bad Vibrations? READ THIS

My bike destroys tails lights, rear fenders, ignition switches, and sissybars. This is after getting everything tuned and the carbs in sync. Anything over 65 is pretty ruff on the rear of the bike. I don't feel too bad even with my minimal seat. My vision doesn't start getting blurry until around 75MPH.

I'm having the stretch reduced on my rear right now. I think it had to have been 6" or more. I'm taking it down to 3". And I also have a new rear 5.00 x 16 tire going on. I'm going to fill the rear triangle with the BB+Silicon mix to add weight. It probably won't even be close to stock weight. (~450 lb)

Next (probably year unless I get rich) I'm going to do the Re-Phase and 5th gear.

PS, I commute 100 miles a day down i80 on this bike)

My bike destroys tails lights, rear fenders, ignition switches, and sissybars. This is after getting everything tuned and the carbs in sync. Anything over 65 is pretty ruff on the rear of the bike. I don't feel too bad even with my minimal seat. My vision doesn't start getting blurry until around 75MPH.

I'm having the stretch reduced on my rear right now. I think it had to have been 6" or more. I'm taking it down to 3". And I also have a new rear 5.00 x 16 tire going on. I'm going to fill the rear triangle with the BB+Silicon mix to add weight. It probably won't even be close to stock weight. (~450 lb)

Next (probably year unless I get rich) I'm going to do the Re-Phase and 5th gear.

Ouch ! If I had to put that many miles on everyday I would be shopping for a big comfy bagger. Save the bobber for weekends .

If I'm correct, your bike is a stripped down chopper. The fact that tail lights, fenders and switches are being torn apart, sure points at major vibration problems. I agree with Scrambled. Buy yourself a used 4 cylinder bike, or a 2 cylinder with a balancer shaft.

Sounds like your chopper is only suited to short around town trips.

If I'm correct, your bike is a stripped down chopper. Sounds like your chopper is only suited to short around town trips.

Yep, stripped down. But I'm going to add some weight and it will be cool. I want to ride it to Florida to see my dad. Thinking about doing EDR too. I'm sure it will be much better when I re-phase it and add weight.

This is just a old story different bike. Back in the 60's and 70's when the chopper boom hit i built a lot of BSA and triumph and some Nortons and all would shake your teeth out of your mouth if you tried to run the bike around 70 or 80 mph. I owned a Triumph with a Roouts kit in it and it was fast as hell on the bottom end but don't dare run that sucker for long above 65 mph. I set myself on fire on my BSA because tank vibrated so bad that it rubbed a hole in bottom and as i was do 50 on a highway boom i was lit up like a christmas tree. Slowed down as slow as i could go jumped off and rolled around on the side of the road until i put myself out. Funny now but wish someone had a video back then. I have built many xs650 and guys lost lights fenders came loose tanks came loose pegs nuts bolts whatever
I rode one of Hughs motors done and shit it made me a beleaver. I really never thought that it would change a bike motor like it did . I was able to see out of the mirrors at 70 mph. I just had a guy email me telling me he wants to come to my garage because his bike vibrates high revs. If you want to use one of these bikes as a highway hauler and do the 3 hour Gillagand tour you just need to bite the bullett and get the rephased deal. I wish Hugh was around in the 60's i wouldn't have had to stand for weeks to take a dump untill the blister went away. XS650 is great if you want sex take your women for a short ride. HUGHS THE MAN

Back