Discarding electrics

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

My bike is finally good to go. Everything runs great. There are two slight oil leaks, one from the clutch pushrod seal and the other from the headgasket, but both are really slow and I will deal with it when winter comes.

So, now that the bike runs I want to play with the look. I already had a custom seat made but I want to remove the battery box and the accompanying electronics that are hidden by the side cover. I would like for it to be see-through in that area.

I got a really small battery that cannot handle the electric start so I am going to be running a 100% kick start bike. So, I have two questions.

1) Since I am not using the electric start what electronics under the seat can be trashed?
2) What other electronics are not ABSOLUTELY necessary?

Thanks,
Adam

No. It's not a race bike. I am going for something really clean and simple, removing everything that isn't necessary.

Thanks for the response.

When not using the starter you can remove the starter relay. On the older bikes the safety relay can come off as well. On the later bikes the safety relau turns the headlight on, so it stays.
You don't say what year your bike is. This will help us help you.
Leo

Sorry. It is a 1981 XS650 Special.

What are your thoughts on buying a minimal TCBros wiring harness and wiring up the turn signals myself?

On the TCB harness, They are around $80.
The connectors are $5 a pair at Mike's. So two connectors, $10. Some wire, most can be salvaged from the old harness. So can the connectors so scratch the $10.
So $80 vs basically free, just some time. Why pay some one $80 for nothing?
Leo

Back