Ditching the airbox, running cones or velocity stacks

Lluber

Noob
Reaction score
So Im getting around to doing a good ultrasonic cleaning on my carbs (83 XS650). While I'm doing a full carb rebuild I figured now would be a good time to pull my air box. Im thinking of either doing some cones/pods or possibly velocity stacks. I dont know much about velocity stacks except that you get even more power then with cones/pods.

Im reaching out to anyone who's done this and what you think is going to work the best, Planning on keeping my stock carbs so I'll have to re-jet according to the pods / velocity stacks.

thanks~

I'm not sure you'd see much difference in performance between the pods and stacks but an air filter will protect your engine more.

I'd say if you're running side covers, use a pod of some sort (K&N). If you're leaving the area exposed, so you can see the stacks that's another thing. Just remember, with stacks you risk your motor eating some it shouldn't...

yeah I think my plan is to expose as much of that beautiful engine as I can. I found these sleeves / covers that go over the stacks that 1) add more protection against dirt, bugs and in my case leg hair.. 2) they also keep the rain out, so if I get caught on a longer ride and it rains I dont have to worry about the water effing up my day.

K&N FILTER BAGS

I'm just looking for some recommendations on cones / stacks if anyone has had issues with certain pods or stacks..

Back