DIY side cover knob fix - replacement

There is a lot of good info here to secure side covers. FWIW, I've looked at Jim's (@ThatXS650Guy) and John's (@desmoman900) up close and personal. They look like a solid fix to me. My most likely path is the clip-on nut and Honda bolt. Many thanks to the contributors.

I'll have to keep in mind that the key to access the tool kit is in the tool kit! :doh:

Last edited:
image.jpg

I received these from Partzilla today. They’re exactly what I was looking for. Thanks @desmoman900

There is a lot of good info here to secure side covers. FWIW, I've looked at Jim's (@ThatXS650Guy) and John's (@desmoman900) up close and personal. They look like a solid fix to me. My most likely path is the clip-on nut and Honda bolt. Many thanks to the contributors.

I'll have to keep in mind that the key to access the tool kit is in the tool kit! :doh:
Do you have the dimensions of the clip nut you intend to use? The ones I have arent “tall” enough for the thickness of the frame.

As an aside I received the rubber grommets for the side panels from Sumo Rubber. They arrived in OEM Yamaha packaging. Go figure? Fit perfect - nice and pliable material.

Last edited:
Ran across this and started laughing. Going through an old box of parts and found two knobs. Guess what? One roll pin was bent and the other came out easy. Junk.

Ran across this and started laughing. Going through an old box of parts and found two knobs. Guess what? One roll pin was bent and the other came out easy. Junk.
Yes, I'm more confident in any of the fixes listed here than I am in the aftermarket parts.

That's odd; every latch roll pin I've removed has come out and gone in only with some rather serious persuasion of the hammer and drift type.

That's odd; every latch roll pin I've removed has come out and gone in only with some rather serious persuasion of the hammer and drift type.
I have two new repro’s I was going to use. The roll pins can be pushed in and out with your finger. A slightly larger roll pin and there’s trouble fitting them into the slot in the frame. The springs are also way too stiff. That’s why I’m looking at alternate methods of attachment.

Back