DIY Soda Blasting

Herd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got my motor apart and am considering ways to clean her up before reassembly. I've looked at commercial soda blasting equipment. It's not cheap by any means. While I was looking, I came across this site that had an article and video on DIY soda blasting. Thought I would pass it on.
http://www.garagenight.tv/diy-soda-blasting-build-your-own-rig-cheap/

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences regarding soda blasting or cleaning engines/parts/etc, sound off.
:bike:

I bought the $40.00 Eastwood siphon blaster 7cfm@90psi which is lowest I found. Works great.

10601776_514514185317847_1766105924_n.jpg

Rum and soda
Lol

jdizon, thanks for the tip. Those are the results I'm looking for. Got to check out some of your builds, good stuff!

There are other posts and examples of the homemade soda blaster. Consensus is you use ag grade soda from a farm store, cheaper and more coarse.

ive got the harbor freight blaster. works. havent done anything mucked up like jdizon, but cleans carbs good.
Btw, jdizon, share to care about those triumph parts? new project?link somewhere?

Question;

Heard that after soda blasting people have found it was difficult to have paint stick properly.

Anyone have this problem?

Any solutions, like a good cleaning method after the blasting?

Hit it with compressed air, wipe it down with hot soapy water, and then wipe the surface with acetone or lacquer thinner. Maybe brake cleaner.

need to clean soon after if you leave for a couple of weeks you get soda staining and then you have to paint.... can make paint hard to stick

Back