DNA leafer

Jondo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This is interesting: A leafer front end made from a DNA springer. Farmer from ND had some ideas for a bike; bike shop told him "you can't do that"; he did it anyway.
Photo was taken at the Donnie Smith bike show in St. Paul.

Most leaf spring front ends attach the wheel axle at the rear of the rockers with the main forks legs at the middle holes and the spring legs at the front. This set-up reverses that.

Attachments

• Gophersandcheese_2011-03-26_17c.jpg
    Gophersandcheese_2011-03-26_17c.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 282
DNA springers seem to be a popular topic on this forum.....thought the conversion of one to a leaf spring front end was an interesting twist, especially given the price of new leafers or old ones in good condition. Just another option. So excuse the 'Harley' photo.........

oh no man i love harley. i had a 66 sportster that was a blast. i was just in a goofy mood when i saw this. if i could afford one id buy one. i have three different plans on how to build one. maybe we can get a group together to decide on one plan and cnc a pile of them to drop the price?

oh no man i love harley. i had a 66 sportster that was a blast. i was just in a goofy mood when i saw this. if i could afford one id buy one. i have three different plans on how to build one. maybe we can get a group together to decide on one plan and cnc a pile of them to drop the price?

Is this one of them? Uses a trailer leaf spring cut in half:

http://www.mantaraygraphics.com/leaf.html

yep, dont think its the same site that i got it from, but that looks the same as one of the three plans. It has all the angel degrees and lengths and what not. i took it to a cnc guy and he was excited to see that it was easy for him to plug into his computer....just got to busy to build it and i gave up and bought a springer instead.

yep, dont think its the same site that i got it from, but that looks the same as one of the three plans. It has all the angel degrees and lengths and what not. i took it to a cnc guy and he was excited to see that it was easy for him to plug into his computer....just got to busy to build it and i gave up and bought a springer instead.

Assume you would've had him machine everything....yokes, rockers, pivot lugs, etc. .....and assembly and welding would be up to you. Did he give you an estimate on the machine work?

no, he just said too much. hes a one man operation in his back yard machinging plane parts. i assume after time he realized it wasnt worth his time doing a one off for me. whats the cheapest leafer that youve found? and yes welding and putting it together would have been up to me, also the leaf section and all pipe bending.

no, he just said too much. hes a one man operation in his back yard machinging plane parts. i assume after time he realized it wasnt worth his time doing a one off for me. whats the cheapest leafer that youve found? and yes welding and putting it together would have been up to me, also the leaf section and all pipe bending.

The best deal I've run across was a four-year-old ad for a new Kiwi leafer that the seller decided not to use......$600. Those things currently run around $2K. It was beautiful....not bulky-looking like some models. Cost is the reason the DNA conversion caught my eye: $450 for the springer, a little more for the leaf spring and spring legs plus hardware plus some powder coat. You might be able to pull that off for $600-$700 depending on how resourceful you are. And it would change the look of the DNA which some find kind of homely. One thing: I think I'd try to contact the guy who built the one in the photo to see how it rides.

This is interesting: A leafer front end made from a DNA springer. Farmer from ND had some ideas for a bike; bike shop told him "you can't do that"; he did it anyway.
Photo was taken at the Donnie Smith bike show in St. Paul.

Most leaf spring front ends attach the wheel axle at the rear of the rockers with the main forks legs at the middle holes and the spring legs at the front. This set-up reverses that.

Something made from available materials in a non-standard way is said to be
" Jerry-rigged" and since the materials are from a springer front end would you call this a (wait for it, . . .)

a Jerry Sprnger?

Though I bought one, once I got it I thought DNA low end (price wise) springer is ugly. I'd love a leaf spring with a plunger rear. Huge fan of thirty and earlier bikes.

Back