Do I have to use a starter relay?

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just curious, maybe this is a stupid question. I am having a hard time coming up with a good place to hide this thing. It's an 81 with pamco ignition and automotive style ignition switch. Didn't know if that was to much power to go through that switch, or if it would work to wire it up just using 6 gauge wire or something. Or any suggestions good bad or otherwise would be great, thanks

You need to use a relay for the starter. It draws to much current. You could use the switch only but you would let the smoke out. And it's hard to get that smoke back in.:yikes:

An automotive style ignition switch uses a starter relay. usually called a solenoid. Both do the same thing. They let a small current control a large current.
Most starters draw a lot of current. The XS650 draws up to 35 amps without a load. 100 amps under load, 300 amps locked.
The starter relay has the rating to deliver the amps a starter needs. No ignition switch can do this.
I went to check my factory manual and corrected the specs I posted.
Leo

Last edited:
Some very early cars used a starter switch. Here is a new one on Ebay for a 37 to 54 GM product. Says it's new from NAPA, so try there. Ebay item # 201273094505

Here's another for a 34 Ford Ebay item # 171661404803

Here is the same switch from NAPA direct NAPA Starter Switch

They call it a solenoid switch but actually it is just a large push button switch capable of carrying the starter motor current.

You don't really have to use 6 or even 8 gauge wire as that will make mounting this switch difficult. You can use 10 gauge wire directly from the battery to the starter motor through the switch.

Those starter switches are about as big as the solenoids.

These are about as compact as you can expect get. You need a pretty healthy coil and contacts to close and especially open a big load like a starter circuit. Somewhere a ways back I found some direct switches that were small but I remember questioning how well they work.

Ok, thanks everyone for the responses. What Pete and Gary suggested is kinda what I was looking for, I think I will head down to Napa and see what small relays I can track down that will easily hide in a small electrical box. Thanks again.

Back