Do I need axel spacers?

Ccanady

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’ve tried running this through my mind over and over and can’t figure it out. Am I missing something here or should I have some sort of spacers in there somewhere.

History: 1981 with tcbros hardtail. All of the axel hardware is original to this bike.

Attachments

• CEF42972-08BE-47EA-8ACA-7DB3281D2EF1.jpeg
    CEF42972-08BE-47EA-8ACA-7DB3281D2EF1.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 0A8EB1B3-1E95-499B-B8F6-E556CDD0E921.jpeg
    0A8EB1B3-1E95-499B-B8F6-E556CDD0E921.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 118
  • 543B7088-3126-491F-95E1-D1068EA4E469.jpeg
    543B7088-3126-491F-95E1-D1068EA4E469.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 125
The axle plates on those hardtails are thinner than the original swingarm ones. You have to add some sort of spacer, or maybe bend the adjuster narrower somehow.

It's pretty lame that they keep making those hardtails that way. They gotta know the plates are too thin. Another money grab and opportunity to sell you more parts, lol.

It's pretty lame that they keep making those hardtails that way. They gotta know the plates are too thin. Another money grab and opportunity to sell you more parts, lol.
I agree, though my hardtail was a one off, not from TC bros.

OP, were instructions included? It is odd they don’t include all needed parts for a direct fit hardtail.

I agree, though my hardtail was a one off, not from TC bros.

OP, were instructions included? It is odd they don’t include all needed parts for a direct fit hardtail.
It did come with instructions but nothing included axel spacing or the lack there of..

typical, it's customizing, you get to figure out how to make things fit.
I was curious enough to go to the TC Bros website and watch a video about said hardtail. The video clearly says it same width spacing to fit 75 and up stock axle, spacers and yes chain adjusters. Hmmm. Are your pics showing with the axle torqued to spec?

Just an afterthought, though it’s not correct maybe they intend for you to flip the adjusters inwards so the fixed washers are on the inside of the axle plates. Though if done that way you might run outta threads before it’s torqued down. Just thinking out loud.

TC Bros instructions say that the '74 axle is too short to use, but mine was the same length as '75 and up. In a perfect world, with good measuring and cutting and not much warp from welding, their instructions could include the washer spacing. Sprocket alignment can change that perfect spacing.

Guys check sprocket alignment the hard way with laser lights, but it can be checked really EASY with a piece of string.

I'll look at my washer spacing when I get home.

Scott

Still, gotta say, that TC Bros hard tail is very well made. Those thinner axle plates allow some adjustment of the wheel in case of the NEED for adjustment, NOT a bad idea at all.

Scott

Still, gotta say, that TC Bros hard tail is very well made. Those thinner axle plates allow some adjustment of the wheel in case of the NEED for adjustment, NOT a bad idea at all.

Scott
I will agree, they are very well constructed. Just wish they would have came with a better option.

I was curious enough to go to the TC Bros website and watch a video about said hardtail. The video clearly says it same width spacing to fit 75 and up stock axle, spacers and yes chain adjusters. Hmmm. Are your pics showing with the axle torqued to spec?

Just an afterthought, though it’s not correct maybe they intend for you to flip the adjusters inwards so the fixed washers are on the inside of the axle plates. Though if done that way you might run outta threads before it’s torqued down. Just thinking out loud.
I haven’t torqued to specs yet due to this issue. In the picture you can see, I had only hand tightened the nut and ran out of thread..

Yeah don't just squish down the axle adjusters. I have not done this but if you could get one washer inside and one outside (0|0) it would let the adjuster center on the axle plate so you can actually USE the adjuster. Of course the best course is some of trav's or DIY doublers like figure8 used.

Last edited:
I will agree, they are very well constructed. Just wish they would have came with a better option.

Those thinner axle plates give you different options on spacing, while still using the stock axle. If the axle plates were stock thickness there would be less spacing options and a custom axle might be needed in extreme cases. It's a damn good design.

Scott

Last edited:
Trust me, after extensive measuring I am 110% certain that TC Bros designed their hard tail to be used with this spacing. For your adjusters to work right and not be wonky, for your axle and castle nut to be right, for your axle to be tight and the castle nut not to run up against the shoulder, you need four 1/8" thick 3/4" washers or bushings. These washers/bushings go each side of the axle plates, between the axle plates and the adjusters. If you were to weld plates on the axle plates you would need to weld 1/8" plates to both sides of each axle plate for your adjusters to work and not look like a bent up mess. So, why weld plates on when you can just use four washers?

The above is what happens in a perfect world by following TC Bros instructions for their wonderfully designed hard tail.

Sprocket alignment can be checked with the chain and left side cover removed. Hold a string to the front of the front sprocket, slide the string over till it just touches the rear of the front sprocket, How does that string line fall at the rear sprocket?

Scott

Back