Does this difference make a difference?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Why does this clutch boss have the wire retainer and the 2 rings? I'm rebuilding my clutch, and after having to find a second assembly I noticed a difference between them. This one has the wire and extra 2 rings. My other one just had a solid edge for plates to sit on. Also there is a note in my book to place 2 aluminum plates then 2 fiber plates.
I love these subtle changes. I read it again and it keeps making me think something different *&%*%$%&$&!!
I used the solid edge one, but can pull it of it makes a difference. :doh:

Attachments

• Clutch boss.jpg
    Clutch boss.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Clutch instruction note.jpg
    Clutch instruction note.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 188
You need to study up on your 650 clutch history or evolution. That hub with the spring loaded bottom plate retained by the wire is the '80 and newer design. It also uses 6 instead of 7 friction plates. That manual excerpt applies to the early 256 clutches. They had two different types of friction plates. Many of us prefer the later dampened hub because it reduces the strain on the damper springs located on the back of the main hub.

Okay thanks. I'll take your advice and switch to the other hub. I have a new wire anyway. i got a clutch plate set from ippytattoo, i think it increases the plates to 7.

You'd better check with him. He does a clutch mod but I don't think it uses that later hub.

Gcraay, I just read your PM and this thread. I have never tried using the Alto friction plates with a dampened inner clutch boss that has not been modified to be exactly like the 74-79 inner clutch boss. I just did some checking and the 80 and up clutch stack height when new was 25mm and if you decide to use 7 of the Alto friction plates with 6 steel the stack height will be 25.8mm. It may work but I have never tested it so I can't say. If you do it make sure to document and test everything really well so I can steal the idea. J/K just check it out really well before buttoning it up so there are no surprises out on the road.

Last edited:
I have both the solid state and the four piece with the wire and two plates underneath. I have a new wire also. I'll switch it over to that one and see what the height differences are. I'm assuming the one closest to the 25mm is correct..er. Right now the last plate comes right about even with the top of the basket. I'll switch to the four piece and check again.

Back