Does this mean I need to take apart my engine?

Ryrog

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I know this obviously means something is wearing in the engine. Is there a way to find what's wearing out without tearing into the engine? Could it be a piston? Is it pointless to ask what it could be and better to just start digging in until I find something? Also is this why the bike would be "sputtering" as it accelerated the last time it was ridden?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 333
Your next step is to drain the oil and pull the sump cover. Drain into a clean pan, and pour that thru a filter to catch whatever. Then inspect the sump filter. See what all is in there...

I'm with 2many here. From the pic quite a bit of the debris looks like hard black rubber chunks, chunks in the side filter indicate your sump filter is torn. The usual source of that type of chunk is the front cam chain guide. So yes it is likely it's time for a top end job. But it will be good to do what 2many says and drain oil and drop the sump screen. Oil and filter(s) should be part of the preliminary work on any "new to you" motorcycle.
A torn sump filter is more than common and is not a big deal. issues with the guide wearing/ breaking up are also common for this now more than 30 years old engine.

you can also use a strong magnet to see whether there is any steel debris in drained oil that didn't stick to the drain plug magnets. any metal that doesn't stick is aluminum, neither being a good sign in significant quantities... how are the clutch and tranny? "sputtering" could be caused by any number of problems unfortunately.

Back