Doing the clutch cushion springs

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
When I had the cover off last year I noticed I had a broken cushion spring. Didn't lose any bits, it appears to have broken neatly in 2 pieces. So I've got the basket off and I'm about to start drilling the original rivets. I've got the Mikes kit in hand. Anybody else done this? Any tips? Hazards? Caveats? I also did the new starter gear and spring clip, tightening up the old clip helped, but it was still an issue, so I figured as long as I was in there. I'm also gonna mod my clutch spring screws to the hex/sleeve configuration while I'm at it, it'll justify getting a vise for my HF drill press. I'll get some pics of the operation as it goes and post 'em up.

I did it three years ago. Used Loctite 2701 and haven't had any problems, yet. Knock, knock... Good luck.

Sounds good. The rivets hard material? I suppose replacing them with aluminum aircraft rivets would be a bad idea(though I have a few thousand in stock). I'll just center punch the ones in there now and go slow on the drill press with plenty of oil. I drilled all the clutch spring bolts for spacers yesterday without a major issue, hopefully that continues.

Back