Don't ship ups for small stuff!!!!!

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I sent some things out today to a few guys on the site. It was my own fault and I chalk it up to a lesson learned because I haven't done much shipping until now. I packaged everything and planned to take the the post office. I was by the UPS store and short on time so I sent through them. When all of the items were totaled it was quite a bit but when comparing the larger item to another similar item I sent out last week, the prices were very close. It was only later after I ran out of the store to get to my next stop that I really looked at what they charged me for shipping on the other items. That is when I wet my pants! I sold a shifter for $12 shipped, and the cost to ship was $12.72! :yikes:I sold a brake lever for $20 shipped and it cost we nearly $14 to ship. Hard to make any money that way:doh:

Anyway, I am sure that no one else would be stupid enough to make this mistake but I thought I would throw this out there so others can learn from my mistake. I stopped by my local post office to ask a few questions and it turns out the $12.72 package would have cost me less than $5 :laugh:

According to the man at the post office, UPS is cost effective for big stuff but the USPS is cheapest for small stuff. :shrug:

The post office is cheaper for everything. They have $5-10-15 flat rate boxes and if the item weighs less than 13oz you can ship first class for about $3. Even large packages ship cheaper than UPS and FEDX. USPS has beaten everyone on all of the things I have shipped.

Sorry you lost out Kelso, when I made that offer on the shifter I was going with USPS type prices since thats who I use......

I wasn't ranting on you at all. You knew what it should have cost. We are cool. I just thought I would mention it on the off chance that anyone else was unaware. Hope the shifter works out:thumbsup:

I learned the hard way that the US Postal Service flat rate boxes are a great price shipping option. The commercial shippers are my last choice - I'm not that rich.

Before I retired, I ran a small agency supply system for the federal govt. I was surprised to find out that there are places in the USA where the commercial shippers would not deliver. But, the US Postal Service went to every place in the USA.

I can only imagine that the current problems the US Postal Service is having with congress is in part a drive to cut the US Postal Service, so we will be forced to use the commercial shippers. Can you afford that? I can't.

USPS all the time. I was really saddened to learn that my local post office, that has been in the same place for 40+ years, is being shut down. My understanding is that flat rate boxes are not going to go away, they just won't be reaching their destination as quickly as they do now.

Ship USPS, I need to keep my job! Plus you can get flat rate boxes delivered to you for free, and you can set up an account, pay online, and you can have the post office pick up your packages right from your house, no charge! And to repeat first class packages 13 oz or less are a bargain, typically $2-3 to ship

I made mistakes like that when I first started shipping stuff. It sucks to give stuff away when you don't intend to!

All of the shipping services have websites where you can estimate the shipping cost if you have the dimensions (height, width, length) of the box you intend to use, the weight, and the destination zip code. You can get very close, or dead on, to the exact shipping cost this way. Use a small kitchen scale for the light stuff, and a larger scale (a bathroom scale will do) for the heavier stuff. Be sure to include the weight of the box and packing materials too. If you have any doubt, add a pound or so to the weight when you check the shipping cost. If it ends up costing less to ship than you have estimated, you have the option to refund the excess to the buyer. I have done that several times.

Also look for sources of free packing supplies, like boxes, bubble wrap and packing peanuts. That stuff can be expensive to buy. If you do have to buy supplies, don't forget to include those costs in your shipping charge.

I'm a big fan of the USPS too. :thumbsup:

UPS is even worse if you are going international. A $10 part can cost you $15 to broker, $10 to ship and then another $5+ dollars for duty. If you ship USPS it’s way easier and less expensive. Too bad not everyone is willing or able to ship USPS.

Bought a $2 used CNC book once that was cheap to ship and then cost me $15 to broker with UPS

I parted a T500 last year and sold the rear fender/tailight to a fellow in the UK. He paid a premium to win the auction but the shipping was only around ~$60 via the USPS and it arrived quickly and intact. It's great to be able to open my ebay auctions to folks outside of the US.

Don't always assume the flat rate boxes are the best deal either. The small flat rate is OK but if you item is a tad to big to fit don't just throw it in the medium box. Example the kickers I sell don't fit in a small and a medium flat rate box would cost $10. I box it myself and can ship anywhere in the USA for $7.50 or less.
Never ship through a ups store,I just use them to drop of my prepaid items for pick up.

I think UPS is good for the BIG stuff. I shipped a frame across the country for something like $40, thought it would be closer to $100.

Don't always assume the flat rate boxes are the best deal either. The small flat rate is OK but if you item is a tad to big to fit don't just throw it in the medium box. Example the kickers I sell don't fit in a small and a medium flat rate box would cost $10. I box it myself and can ship anywhere in the USA for $7.50 or less.
Never ship through a ups store,I just use them to drop of my prepaid items for pick up.

This is true. Just shipped something that was actually cheaper if packaged in my own box that was the same size. I guess if it is light it is better to go standard. Heavy objects in flat rate boxes save some cash I think.

Another USPS "secret" is regional flat rate boxes, they are great deal too. You can get a sampler pack of regional flat rates boxes from usps.com and they also are "free". USPS is also offering "prepaid flat rate boxes. Not for everyone but a small and a medium flat rate box ready to mail is handy.
gggGary, part time rural carrier

Back