1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Drained battery anyone know why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by londoncabby, May 18, 2020.

1. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    The trick is to make it read about 14.2V at the battery terminals when it's revved to about 3K in neutral. Look for the thread Charlie's Expanded Charging Guide (or somesuch) by gggGary. I worked on mine forever, and the problem finally ended up being heavily tarnished wires just barely twisted together, down inside the harness. First thing, you'll have to put your battery on a charger and try to get it up close to 13V. Also the connectors can go bad -- components can test good but the connectors they plug into will be bad, making it look like a bad component. Had some of that too

londoncabby likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

As longs as your battery is topped up... I doubt they're related.
    Pull the plug and see if it's fouled?

3. londoncabby

londoncabby XS650 Enthusiast

I seem to be in a catch 22 situation hear as I can't address my charging issues until I can get it running on both cylinders it just seems strange that since getting it home after breaking down it won't run on the left cylinder it was starting and running spot on before and up to it broke down I've swapped the plugs over and tried a spare set with no change as I said in an earlier post if I pull the left plug lead off while it's running I can hear it arcing across to the plug so it seems to be getting power to the plug I don't know where to go from here any ideas?

4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

What's the plug look like? Dry.... fuel soaked? Pull the float drain and see if there's fuel in the bowl?

5. londoncabby

londoncabby XS650 Enthusiast

Thanks for your suggestions Jim plug doesn’t look fouled I just pulled the float drain and fuel was there after it drained I turned the fuel tap sorry pet cock over to prime and fuel started running out so its getting fuel I will get two new plugs tomorrow to eliminate duff plugs and if it’s getting spark and fuel it should bloody well run on both cylinders!!

Jim likes this.