Drilled mag wheels?

Clerek

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I searched and found Ardcore Choppers did it to the Bad Penny build and thought I might try to replicate this...

Anyone know if this will mess up the structural stability/strength of the wheels?

Thanks,
-Rick

i have a flat tracker friend who races his drilled wheels about 2 yrs now with no problem,
wont catch me on it tho

Can't really see it effecting the strength of the wheel. It has a raised lip all the way around it. What size holes you talking about here?

I'd do it and not worry about it. I'm sure Yamaha built a good safety factor into those wheels and you'll just be taking a little bit of that away. I bet you could cut out the whole middle section and still be okay. I wouldn't take it that far though.

Agreed, all the strength is in the beams. Just like a drilled straight axle on an old hot rod. Those wheels are plenty strong.

+1 for pics of how you did it.

I've been thinking about doing this since I saw Ardcore do it. Not sure the best way to go about it.

Eyeball it with a center punch or use a rotary table on a drill press? How do you shim/jig the wheel on the drill press?

I'm curious to see how you guys go about it.

Posted via Mobile

SSPX0453.jpg

Thats my project, tons of guys have done it... They're still alive

I think Yamaha intended those wheels to survice WWIII , a few speed holes never hurt anything.

Its actually pretty hard to measure it precisely with all the casting marks in the wheels, I relied heavily on my "eye balls" ,and their almost balanced perfectly.

Dang Hutch, that looks killer. Did you do the rear rotor too?

Posted via Mobile

Sure did, I cant wait to finally get that bike done... Hopefully terrorizing the streets by spring.

Drilling is for pusses, slot them out! :laugh:
181722_1804121138849_1114484956_32128465_6374064_s.jpg

This wheel isn't finished yet, and thats my friend Tom from Deep Six Cycles modeling the new look for you guys... Gonna do some blending and make them look good. Doing the rear one this morning... Gonna leave a little more meat on it :laugh:

Back