Drive Chain Tensioner

blakey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
On the last bobber I built (Harley) I had a problem with the chain stretching. Ive noticed that on pictures of more recent builds with Jap engines, some people have fitted tensioners onto the rigid frame.
So, Im wondering if any of you have experience of this, & what tensioner you found worked well.:shrug:

Thanks Blakey.

On the last bobber I built (Harley) I had a problem with the chain stretching. Ive noticed that on pictures of more recent builds with Jap engines, some people have fitted tensioners onto the rigid frame.
So, Im wondering if any of you have experience of this, & what tensioner you found worked well.:shrug:
Thanks Blakey.

Hi Blakey and welcome,
another bleedin' Bristolian, eh? 'Ow bist thee then, our kid? I still remember the Bedminster dialect even though I left in '69.
A chain tensioner won't stop the chain stretching, it's there to keep a hardtail's typically long chain run under control and sometimes to lift the chain's lower run over a frame tube.
The tensioner that works best is the one that's lined up properly and that's a build problem.

Back