Drop Kick BS34's - What next?

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
So I'm just about ready to drop kick these BS34's. Well, at least one of them. I've got one running great, but the other one acts like it's doing nothing at idle, and doesn't seem to kick in until the main jet circuit. I've blasted every orifice I can see with carb cleaner and it's still acting up. They were running fine last fall before I tore the bike down. I think they were even running better than this early this summer on one of my test runs.

Anyway, last resort I can think of here, is to split the carbs and drop the troublemaker carb into a can of Chem-Dip for a day or so. Are there any problems with splitting the carbs? It's a real pain on the V-Star carbs. If this doesn't work, I don't know what to do next.

Kent

You can dunk the carbs if you take all the rubber parts out but that means removing the butterfly shaft seals which ain't easy. Besides, I don't think dunking will help your problem much. It sounds like your idle circuit is plugged. Just squirting carb cleaner in the holes sometimes isn't enough. You need to blow it through using compressed air. In your case, remove the pilot jet, squirt cleaner in it's hole, then blow it through and watch for it to exit out the 4 tiny holes in the main bore. These are the feed holes from the pilot circuit and how the pilot mix gets into the carb main bore, then into the engine. The one hole off by itself is from the mix screw (which is fed by the pilot jet), the 3 in a cluster come directly from the pilot jet.

OutletHoles.jpg

Have the mix screw along with it's spring, washer, and o-ring removed during this cleaning and hold a finger over the mix screw hole as you blow the cleaner through. Squirt cleaner in the mix screw hole, block the 4 holes in the bore, and blow it back out the pilot jet hole. Work back and forth like this, flushing and back flushing the circuit. I follow up with WD40 blown through to flush the carb cleaner out.

Thanks for that! I was just looking through the pilot circuit and trying to figure out how to flush those bypass holes. I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow. Sure appreciate the help!

Kent

Back