Drum brake?

Put some pics up and we'll tell you.;)

YAMAHA XS650 014.JPG
YAMAHA XS650 015.JPG
Here are a couple--

Looks to me like a 1981 XS650SH Has the oil sight gauge in the right case. 80 didn't have that.

Yes, I think you have a 1981 model on your hands there. The drum rear mag was stock on that model, and the only year that got it.

Just checked and signed Bill of Sale stated 1980 but title is 1981 and frame tag says manufactured November 1980.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I think you have a 1981 model on your hands there. The drum rear mag was stock on that model, and the only year that got it.
Hi 5twins,
yup, and looks to be in nice shape too even if the lower side covers are missing.
Jiles, does your bike still have the original pathetic dog leash security chain in the plastic box under the right side cover?
FWIW, Canadian XS650s had rear drum & cast wheels from 1980 to end of production.

No, its missing along with side covers.
Overall, pretty decent for a bike this old. I would like to get the covers.

I think the lower covers showed up in 82 or 83. Your 81 didn't have 'em.

I think the lower covers showed up in 82 or 83. Your 81 didn't have 'em.
I would agree with that as the 1981 "Ride-to-Work" Rat bike did not have them but the 1982 Barn find Special has them. But is missing the "dog leash chain"!

And they both had the cast wheels with drum rear brake and the 1978 Special has the cast wheels with disc rear brake.

Upon further inspection, Looks like the lower mounting screw is present, rubber bushing on rear for protruding tool box stub, and the wire loop on left are all present. Looks like top right mounting tab, attached to lower outside of air box, is missing.
This suggest a change of air box at some point in its life.
Found several on Bay but I would have to fabricate upper mounting tab.

I was wondering what was missing, thanks for the information.

Your model didn't have the lower side covers, as stated above. There was no side cover mount on any airbox. You're not missing anything.

Help me figure out what I have---
Here are a few photos--double checked frame tag on neck and it states November 1980
YAMAHA TOOL BOX 001.JPG
YAMAHA TOOL BOX 003.JPG

YAMAHA TOOL BOX 004.JPG
YAMAHA TOOL BOX 005.JPG

YAMAHA TOOL BOX 006.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me figure out what I have---
Here are a few photos--double checked frame tag on neck and it states November 1980
I thought we already did that.... it's an 81SH. Just like cars, new models come out in the fall of the previous year. Mine was made in 10/79... it's an 80SG.

Yes, I am in agreement that it is a 1981--no problem with that.
My confusion is related to 1980 and 81 not have side tool box, but appears that mine has two of the mounting points.
From inspecting photos of some boxes, it appears that there is a top mounting point and if not on air box, can someone clarify ?
I don't mean to be a pessimist but would love to have extra storage box, or should I just forget it ?
Please bear with a 73 year old, trying to learn.

Your tool storage box is on the back of the battery box, left side. It's welded on. You can fit a hot dog in there... not much else. You seem to be missing the air filters and covers? Back up a couple feet and take the pics again.
Please bear with a 73 year old, trying to learn.
No worries, we're mostly old and tech challenged here. ;)

IMG_20190415_124142.jpg

What I think you're missing is the little storage box for the security chain. It's not very big and not very deep, so you wouldn't be fitting many tools in it anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about not having it.

The tool kit is quite comprehensive.......quite a few dismiss it as being next to no good but i find it is a well worth addition if you have it or come across a good one.........there is very little maintenance issues that can't be done with it from setting points and tappets, to removing the front/rear wheels, carbs, spark plugs, left engine side cover, or stripping the front end in a pinch. One of the ring spanners fits the sump plug

Here is the tool kit and in the second pic i have added an extra set of adjustable pliers and an extra 14mm/12mm open end spanner. I have 14mm, 2x12mm, 2x10mm, 1x8mm...........it all goes together into its self and into the tool kit box.

copywrite P1110315.jpg Copywrite P1110335.jpg Copywrite P1110336.jpg copywrite P1110337.jpg copywrite P1110339.jpg copywrite P1110340.jpg copywrite P1110341.jpg

81SH is the only US model to have the Mag drum brake rear wheel.........

81SH (mag wheel model), had the safety Chain box. .............81H Special II, (spoke wheel model), didn't get that feature
Safety chain box81SH Silver.jpg Safety chain box 81xs2.jpg

Last edited:
One also has to keep in mind what might have been standard for the XS650 in one country might not hold for others.

Back