drum to disc swap..

lukemylo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know how to mount the master cylinder . i know i have to weld on new tabs , was just wondering if anyone has pics or advice on how to do this ..

Look up rear master cylinder mounts. For starts you might want to include more info about your bike and/or pictures so someone that might want to help you can.

Help us, Help you. Typing out a few sentences with no info does nothing for us. Are you mounting that MC to the hood of your car?

no its on a 1977 xs650 " which would be why im putting it on here instead of a car forum " the forks and swingarm are off of a 1982 650. everything switched over fine except for mounting the mc .

no its on a 1977 xs650 " which would be why im putting it on here instead of a car forum " the forks and swingarm are off of a 1982 650. everything switched over fine except for mounting the mc .

Bigjimmy was making a point so it is easier for members to help YOU.

78SE/79SF/80SG have the Disk brake swing-arm all other XS's Have a drum brake swing-arm. If you have an 82 XS650 Swing-arm it will be for a drum brake.

Checked out your album and in the last pic you claim the bike is a 77, afraid not it is a 72XS2/73TX, Motor and frame.

i took them off a yamaha 650 with both stock front and rear disc . put the on my bike which is 1977 650 stock front disc and rear drum . i just want to know if anyone else has done this swap !!!! if you look at my albums you can kinda see . i dont know how to put them in my replies . and sorry if my years was wrong i just got the bike for parts there is no title so im not sure

I did on my 75. I just looked at as many pics of disc brake M/C's I could find and mounted tubes in about the right place to hold a stock master cylinder. You need the disc brake pedal pivot as well as the M/C.
Would I do it again, no, I would just find a disc brake frame. Much easier.
Leo

The black bike looks to me to be a 1980 XS650SG. clip on seat and that style of seat only come out on the 80SG. the other of your bikes is a 72XS2/73TX.

You need to properly identify your bikes, Frame and engine no's, (ID in the tech menu), and get to know what you have before you start asking questions because if you don't the answers given could be completely wrong for your situation. The early frames from 70-73 are completely different from the 74 and later models.

If you do not want to listen to advice then ignore this information a second time.

im not ignoring anything, i have a title for the one you say is 72,73. but it says 1977 i was just going off that. i also was thinking it was a 72 because of the rear peg mounts and the tank . my mistake just going off the title . im open to all advice . thank you for setting me straight !!!

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but if you are swapping the mag wheels with the disk rear brake from the 80SG onto the other frame.....Why cant you copy the rear M/C mounts from the 80SG..........

because like you said frames are different , im just looking for an easy fix . i can figure it out just wanted some ideas !!! and the m/c was bolted to the frame . with other being drum it doesnt have those mounts as the 80 does

i already did the swap. if you looked at all the pics. i just want to know where to mount the m/c .. if there was an easy way or if it was going to be a pain in my ass as i see it is since people on here just want to argue and quote shit they have read . im asking normal questions , i thought thats what this was for is help ? right ?

I had one mounted on the same type of frame as you have, it was just a metal plate welded just above the footrest hangers and bent over and welded to the bottom triangulation, with holes to mount the master cylinder, but you will need the cam for a disk brake
A_001_024.jpg

Attachments

• A_001_024.jpg
    A_001_024.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 190
i already did the swap. if you looked at all the pics. i just want to know where to mount the m/c .. if there was an easy way or if it was going to be a pain in my ass as i see it is since people on here just want to argue and quote shit they have read . im asking normal questions , i thought thats what this was for is help ? right ?

Quote shit they have read :wtf:

If i had not done some research and looked for the information about what bikes you have, then we would be discussing how your 83 doesn't have a disk rear brake and your 77 is what it is, a 77.

You should not take my word for anything and do some research yourself and identify what you have.

If you cant see what is required to make a mount for your m/c when you have the bike it comes off of as a guide and template, then i can't really help you. Maybe someone else will have an idea of some other simple way of doing this so you don't have to think.

On the bike with no title, compare the engine and frame numbers to the ID charts in the tech section.
I doubt it is an 82, they used the disc brake late 78, 79 and 80.
In 81 they went to a one year only mag drum brake, in 82 they went to the 48 spoke drum wheel.
Leo

I was just going through your photo album and couldn't help wondering how the swingarm and shocks are supposed to actually function the way things are laid out in that top left picture :wtf::yikes::eek::doh:
Just saying.:laugh:

Attachments

• stewie.jpg
    stewie.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 139
Back