Dry scalp or lack of lubrication to head

dahondaboy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have ideas for increasing the flow(volume) of oil to the head ?
I need increased volume not pressure. I just tore down a parts motor i picked up and it had a severe lack of lube to the cam and valvetrain causing it to eat the cam lobes till they were round. i saw that it had plugged passages. so i was wondering about installing a second line to dump in the top middle of the head but i would need a pump with increased flow so that i dont decrease flow in other places. anybody tried rigging up a racing style electric oil pump?

xsjohn did it, you'll have to search.
It may be in the compiled thread of
"XSJohns tips" that 650skull did.

The stock oil pump provides enough oil flow for normal street operation of these bikes. If someone was going to race the bike in competition , them maybe additional oil flow would be needed.

These motors are extremely durable. Sounds like you bought one that never had the oil changed, never had filters cleaned, and maybe it was ran with very low oil level. That kind of abuse will destroy any engine internals.

You bought an engine that was tortured by the PO, so you now have some scrap steel and aluminum.

Never had a top end lube problem in over 30 years with either street or race XS engines.
Just keep all the passages very clean, with at least 2.0 qts. of motorcycle-specific four stroke oil in the crankcase and make sure the cam and rockers aren't overly scuffed or shedding any metal.
Craig

If I remember right, John increased the flow to only one set of lobes - exhaust I think - and blueprinted the pump for max flow, which probably wouldn't hurt any of us. Overall, I'm with the crowd on this one, basic maintenance would have prevented this! My cam doesn't show much wear.

Edit: my mistake, intake lobes

Last edited:
Back