Dual function.. Brake and Signal Lights

hutch08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Looking at running a set of these mini bullet LED lights on the rear of my chop.
I want to keep things simple and clean. Heres the lights in question...

BlkMiniBulletRedLit350.jpg

".... Each light has two internal lamps, one is normal intensity for tail or running lights, the other is super bright for stop or brake lights."

I want to mount one light on either side, and to operate as running/brake/turn lights.

Is this possible? or should i say, HOW is this possible?

Anyone have a diagram to do this? Also would i need some sort of module, like this : http://www.spotmotorcycles.com/signal-dynamics-tri-star-conversion-module-turn-signal-to-brake-light/ to get this to work...

Thanks!

you will most likely need that converter or something similar. the brake/blinkers are IMO a pretty good idea but you need something that overrides the brake input to flash the correct side blinker. (such as in a car) that system is built into the turn signal switch aka combination switch in a car. That converter will be basically doing the same function. and I think that maybe some wiring diagrams from some older vehicles (older meaning late 60's) will give you a good idea of how they are wired up

I have one of those converters on my 650 but it's using standard lamp/bulbs, those little LEDs are cute but not big enough to be legal (if a cop wanted to and knew anything about it they could bust you) bet money, marbles, or chalk they say off-road only on the pkg.

I've been looking to do the same thing with probably about the same light (Harrison Specialties). Will probably need a Run-Turn-Brake controller of some form, but I'm not sure I've found just the perfect controller for the job yet. I'll pass it along if I find something, in the meantime, I'll keep watching this thread.

Kent

Yeah I know their not the brightest and biggest, but it beats having none at all.

I've heard of guys using some sort of trailer light module or something of the sort?

I can figure out a way to get them to use one intensity as a brake and the other for signal, but my problem comes in when their both illuminated, something needs to cancel the brake function so you can still see the flashing.

Ok, so i think im on to something.... will this work???

the LEDs have 3 wires each, high intensity, low intensity, and ground... Will a converter like this work?
... and if someone is kind enough to make up a wiring diagram for the lighting circuit, including the flasher, brake switch, etc... that would be awesome.

4-Way Vehicle Tail Light Converter
8201881.jpg

On that one, if it will work with LED's You would wire the front of the bike as you normally would. The wires you run the the rear would hook on to the adpter just as they are marked on the car side. Green to right turn signal, the red to the brake light, the yellow to the left turn signal, brown to tail light white to ground.
On the trailer side the green wire to the "super bright" light on the right side, the yellow wire to the "super bright" on the left side. The brown to the "normal bright" on both sides. The white to the body ground of both lights.
If I could use the drawing programs on my computer I would draw a diagram. I haven't figured that out yet.

ok... so i was playing around in "paint" ... tried to piece together a wiring diagram i found along with this set-up... someone want to give me some insight if they think this will work?

Attachments

• signalwiring.jpg
    signalwiring.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 407
i have done this exact thing before with standard bulds
not sure if the LED's will work also
buy it all from home depot and try it out
if not
they take everything back

I put one of the trailer wiring harnesses on my wife's xs400. It works, but the charging system on that bike is so shitty that I had to use the turn signals for turn/brake only. If I used them as running lights also it couldn't keep up.

You will need to run some sort of load equalizer for the LED lights also. I couple resistors would probably work, but I couldn't tell you what values.

What's the purpose of load equalizers? I've heard others say I might need them. I thought as long as you used an led specific flasher it wouldn't matter.....

load equalizers, ballasts, or resisters all defeat the whole purpose of running LEDs, you take out the resistance of the regular bulb with the LED and then put it back in?:wtf:
I would try the converter with the LEDs and the electronic flasher, somebody has to be the guinea pig and looks like you're elected:laugh: since you not running any of the light checker BS it won't fault out by having the low watt LEDs in system and that's why you want the E-flasher in the first place

If I get time this afternoon, I will draw up a cheap variable rate led flasher you can make from stuff you can get at Radio Shack, if you want.

The components must be cheaper at your radio shack. I've found it cheaper to buy LED lights and scavenge what I want from them.

I'm thinking the parts would be $10 or less and it would flash whatever led setup you had. It would use something like a 555 chip for a timer, a transistor or line driver as the output and a few miscellaneous items.... There could be a trim pot on it to control how rapid the flashing was. Maybe $15 or less lol. I never priced these things at Radio Shack but I bet they have enough stuff.

load equalizers, ballasts, or resisters all defeat the whole purpose of running LEDs, you take out the resistance of the regular bulb with the LED and then put it back in?:wtf:
I would try the converter with the LEDs and the electronic flasher, somebody has to be the guinea pig and looks like you're elected:laugh: since you not running any of the light checker BS it won't fault out by having the low watt LEDs in system and that's why you want the E-flasher in the first place

I must have missed the LED specific flasher.

Also it doesn't defeat the purpose. Your still drawing fewer amps the only thing the load equalizer does is slow the flash rate.

There's only significant current during the 'on' time. Get a handle on that and you can drastically alter the power it uses.

Hmmm... Well once I get those lights, I'll try the trailer light converter.. Its only like,15-20$... I'll be the guinea pig.

But yeah if someone can do it from radio shack, giver! And I'll try that if this does not work.

And that writing diagram looked ok?

Back