dual petcocks

82xs650

Legion of Doom
Reaction score
I ordered a tank off ebay and i have no idea what year it is for, just a dummy tank to practice painting before the real one. I do not have the keys, so has anyone been successful in removing a cap without destroying it? And it has dual petcocks. Is there one for each carb?

Yes, you can take the cap off. At the front of the cap, under the chrome nose, there is a flat metal blade. If you push the blade back, or strike it with a screwdriver and hammer, the cap will open.

On some caps, the blade is recessed and hidden, but if you can fab a tool to get under the front of the cap and push on the blade, it will open.

It's a little hard to explain the blade. Send me your email in a PM and I'll email you a picture if you need it.

Once the cap is open, it is pretty easy to remove the tumblers so that any key or screwdriver will open the lock.

The dual petcocks are one for each carb, but a single petcock is all you need, and will provide plenty of gas to both carbs, and will simplify things.

An other method is to take out the pin in the hinge. You see on one side a tiny clip holding the hing pin in, pop that off and push the pin out.

The earlier standard tanks use a different cap than the later tanks. As dogbunny says the later tanks open from the front of the cap, key in from the top, the early caps open from the rear, key in from the rear.
On the earlier caps use a thin piece of steel like a hack saw blade and slip it in between the cap and key part, push and jiggle a bit and the cap pops right open.
Early caps the key part is seperate from the cap, later the key part is in the cap.
Leo

Back