Duel Disks?

jdm9123

78 xs650SE
Reaction score
So what are your guys thoughts on changing over to duel disks on your bikes? I have heard mixed reviews on whether or not its a good upgrade or not.

I keep my ride Stock. If maintained right this does the job good, with ss tubes and good hoses. That means one disk for me...

The switch to dual disks can be a cheap and effective upgrade because you can source parts from a variety of Yamahas... The main reason it works is because the stock front 14mm master cylindar is better matched in size for two brakes... You can acheive much the same effect be replacing the master cylindar with a smaller one, like 11, 12 or 13 and thus keep with one disk.

I have enough problems without having to worry about dueling disks.:laugh:
Though I have two different dual disk set ups haven't ridden either one yet. FWIW keeping weight down is important. I for one would not add a SECOND tombstone heavy stock disk +caliper to my front end.....
Bang for buck is probably best served by a lighter single disk with upgraded multi-piston caliper. Near endless threads on various front disk set ups with few head to head comparos.
Without crazy high horsepower to drive us too deep into corners pavement tearing braking doesn't seem as critical.

Pointless anecdote; Went for a ride in an NXS Acura, under HEAVY braking the rear end felt weird and lumpy, we went back to look at the marks. The tires HAD literally torn chunks of pavement out of the rural roadway.

I dualled my '79SF and I was a lot happier knowing I could stop quickly when I wanted. I already tried stainless lines, different pads etc on the single disc. It stops better than my other XS, a twin disc Euro model, but you would expect this as the Special discs are larger diameter (298 mm against 267 mm IIRC). Oh, I also drilled my Special discs but I think looks are the main advantage of this mod. Gary is correct in that one modern disc and caliper would be the best bet, but I had most of the bits lying around. When I get a chance I will have a go at the modern disc conversion as others have done. There, mixed reviews just as you said :)

just a side note - i have dual old style twin pot callipers and 18 inch akront front wheel - stops like a demon, but a pain in the but to remove - refit the wheel. might be easier with a 19 inch stock rim, maybe.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses. I have the stock master cylinder and caliper on the bikes now. I replaced the brake line with a shorter line and re-bled but they are VERY spongy. I am a stickler when it comes to braking, not because I am racing the bike on a track but just simply because I want good brakes. I am going to buy Part #08-0255 master cylinder from mikesxs. It's a 13mm bore so I hope this cures my braking problem.

It isn't easier yam-a-man.

Everything about powerful brakes makes riding a pleasure. I'm all about a bike that handles and brakes are a big part of that puzzle. The light touch of dual brakes make an XS easier to ride in traffic, anywhere really. Dual brakes are more powerful (good) and weigh a ton (bad). They look the part of serious 70's performance so figure that into your thinking.

Tom Graham

Start by fixing what you have. Seriously rebuild both caliper and master cylinder, there are good threads for both on here. The stock brake is not spongy that is a symptom of something in the brakes being wrong.

it's a bit of a juggling act isn't it Tom! i thought i'd have to remove the disc at first to get the wheel on! but a bit of paitence and some carefull jiggiling it all came together. pretty easy now i know what i'm doing. cheers

Yes, if your stock set-up is still spongy, something's still wrong with it. It could be as simple as not being bled properly and completely yet. Mine was spongy until I replaced the line. Previous to that, I disassembled and cleaned both the MC and caliper. Both were full of gunk.

This past summer, I decided to upgrade the pads. I got the Ferodo Platinums because they were said to be one of the best ..... well ..... not so much. I think the originals worked better and will probably put them back in. Being that I have probably a half dozen good used sets of originals laying around (from parts bikes and such), I doubt I'll ever be buying new pads again.

Yes, if your stock set-up is still spongy, something's still wrong with it. It could be as simple as not being bled properly and completely yet. Mine was spongy until I replaced the line. Previous to that, I disassembled and cleaned both the MC and caliper. Both were full of gunk.

This past summer, I decided to upgrade the pads. I got the Ferodo Platinums because they were said to be one of the best ..... well ..... not so much. I think the originals worked better and will probably put them back in. Being that I have probably a half dozen good used sets of originals laying around (from parts bikes and such), I doubt I'll ever be buying new pads again.

5twins;

I have also been looking at the Ferodo Platinums. I had interest in them because they are organic and less likely to squeal as compared to the semi-metallic which I have now. From your post it seems you're not impressed with the Ferodo. That's good info for me, and the Ferodo's are off my buy list now.

I have this nagging brake squeal problem on both front and rear disk brakes. My braking ability is good, just noisey. I'm going to have a hard look at buying a used Brembo Goldline caliper. I suspect the multi piston caliper might have me doing "Stoppies" and solve the sqealing.:)

RG, have you tried cutting a bevel on the edge of the pads? On the edge as the rotor enters the caliper.
I read this somewhere and tried it on mine. It helped quiet them.
Leo

as Gary says, the anti rattle clips in place can help reduce brake squeel, it's usually caused by metal on metal contact between the brake pistons and the pads. applying a bit of never seize on the end of the piston will also stop the squeel. cheers

Posted via Mobile

XSLeo;

Yes, I tried the beveling, but it did not help.

ProSimex;

Drum brake..............ummmmmmmm, let me think about that for a millisecond...........No.

gggGary;

I have the small shims that go on the edges of the pads, but not the shims that go on the back of the pads.

yamaman;

I have used never seize and also a product called "Disc Brake Quiet". Neither helped reduce sqealing.

Why? I was very happy with the drum brake on the front of my honda. Also a twin leading shoe front dru brake is a very different animal from the piece of crap they stuck on the rear of most bikes.

They look better too.

Back