Dull Aluminum finish; How to?

wojski

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So Im cleaning up my side covers, I dont want to polish them right up to a chrome, I am more interested in attaining the dull/matte look like this;

cimg3422.jpg

Any special tricks? Keep sanding to a particular grit rating?......

after using say 1000 grit wet sand paper or the scotch brite pad will there be fine lines left on the aluminum, do I have to use a polishign wheel or anything?

Thats my old bike and I did it with a scotchbrite pad like Malloym said, only pad was green. The case below it with "Yamaha" removed was ready for scotchbrite. Even when done there will be fine lines, just apply little pressure to minimize.
cimg3133.jpg

We use a kitchen sink scrubber that has a sponge on one side and green ScotchBrite on the other. These are much nicer to handle than a sheet of ScotchBrite. Get the green at a grocery store. The blue scrubber is milder.

Tom Graham

Thanks for the help guys.

Time to go get me some scotchbrite pads, ill try a grey and a green to see the difference.

I achieved that by first blasting the covers in my parts blaster. I then used 320/400/600 wet sand paper. Gives it that kind of nickel look.

5535936817_dec0f78258_z.jpg

5535938407_9f9f8a01fe_z.jpg

Thats my before and after. I used a scotchbrite ball to clean all the crap off the cover. I then used aircraft stripper to get rid of the clearcoat. After that I used 700 and 1200 sandpaper. Final step was another scotchbrite ball and some neverdull.

Back